Super Mechanic
Super Mechanic, Master technician
Experience:  29 yrs. exp., ASE master, cert. in G.M. electrical, a/c, susspension, brakes, electronic steering
2947720

Backfire through intake under acceleration, almost a miss at

Customer Question

backfire through intake under acceleration, almost a miss at idle in gear, rebuilt heads installed with less than 5 miles on build...dribbles at fuel injectors here and there thinking fuel press reg, timing set at 0% did a running adjustment on the valves, 0 lash. Runs better in gear with timing wire disconnected. What ya think
JA: Many things can cause a car to make those weird sounds. Some simple, some complicated. Fortunately, the mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: Tried adjusting valves and re-timing, new plugs new wires
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Chevy Mechanic should know about your Chevy?
Customer: The usual
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chevy Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Chevy
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
backfires are rapid one after another, rattle suttle, not like timing backfires that blow fire at your hood ;)
Expert:  Super Mechanic replied 7 months ago.
Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** you for visiting the site..What is the year make model and engine of it please?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
1991 chevrolet c1500 5.7
I see, thanks. Let me just say that any money that you paid, or if you have a subscription, that money stays in your account until the answers are rated, (positive) regardless of how fast or how long it may take to get finished. You can FOLLOW UP AT ANYTIME, even after rating... *** A BAD RATING HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH ANY DEPOSIT YOU MADE ***** You will want to check the fuel pressure to see if it is too low. Also that the filter is not restricting the flow of fuel. Fuel flow as well...FUEL PRESSURE Ignition ON Engine OFF62-90 kPa (9-13 psi) . If they are both ok, then you will want to take a sample of the fuel to be sure that it’s not contaminated..Please don’t forget to rate the answer, **** THAT IS THE ONLY WAY I GET PAID **** if you need any more on it, I will be here..
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I know the fuel pressure is at 12 psi. I was kind of worried about the money being taken out so soon.. I know it isnt a valve train issue. I ordered a tbi rebuild kit to ensure its not a fpr problem... what else could you think of?
I see, thanks. Was the timing chain replaced?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
no and I dont believe that it would be an issue... considering it runs good with the computer not controlling the timing advance.
I see, thanks. That is all that I can think of on it, but wait there may be another expert who has more. I will opt out and open it back up. Please DON’T REPLY to this post as that will lock the question back to me, also DON’T RATE THE ANSWER yet, someone should be along shortly, I’m sure, thanks and sorry I wasn’t able to help with it..*******YOU CAN ALWAYS GET A REFUND WITHOUT RATING THE ANSWER AS BAD OR THE SERVICE AS POOR ******** ..