JOHN aka Eauto
JOHN aka Eauto, The Car Guy
Experience:  ase tech
6149662

I have a chevy s10 Blazer (2001) 4wd. Auto trans. The vehicle

Customer Question

I have a chevy s10 Blazer (2001) 4wd. Auto trans. The vehicle won't shift out of 1st automatically but it will go into 2nd if I manually shift the lever. The speedo isn't working and the ABS light in on. Replaced all three speed sensors without any luck.
JA: So many factors can cause ABS issues. Some simple, some complicated. Fortunately, the mechanics we work with have tons of experience dealing with them. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Understood and I am hoping to fix it myself if I can
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Chevy Mechanic should know about your Chevy?
Customer: Not that I can think of except that I was at STS Tire and they ran the codes. Said it was probably the ABS module, but I got the distinct impression that they were just throwing out an answer without being able to say that this was definitely the problem. I can't afford to just swap out parts on the possibility that I will find the one that doesn't work
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chevy Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  JOHN aka Eauto replied 9 months ago.
any trouble codes?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Yes- P0140; P0300; P0327; P0335
yea none of those will cause that will it shift under heavy throttle or if you let up on the gas?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Unfortunately no. I've driven it for about 120 miles since the problem started and nothing has changed (although I did get the brakes done on the hope that that would fix the problem).
is the speedometer working?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Nope
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Sorry- we had a late dinner and I got pulled away from the computer
the speedometer is not working?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Nope- its not working
what abs codes are you getting?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
the ones I mentioned above- P0140; P0300; P0327; P0335
none f those are abs codes does your scan tool have abs capability?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Unfortunately, I don't have a scan tool- those codes were given to me by the a garage I took it to when I couldn't get it out of gear
you are going to have to scan it...its likely a vss failure or a wire harness issue..but codes will help...and all the codes you have are engine codes
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Let me take it back to STS for a full scan tomorrow. Unfortunately, it will have to be in the afternoon since I have a business appointment in the morning. Can I get back to you?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Oh, and I already replaced the VSS as I mentioned above
its either bad or a wiring issue...snning with a proper tool is step one
did you replace the one on the tail shaft of the transfer case?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I appreciate the help. After my appointment I will take it to the car center and have them scan everything and give me all of the codes. I'll get back to you then. Thanks for your help.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I replaced all three- the one on the transfer case and one on each front wheel
65 bucks for a decent scan tool that does abs ...might be cheaper then paying a shop.its easy to usehttp://www.ebay.com/itm/Matco-Tools-MD1400-Oracle-CodeConnect-Scan-Tool-/291728979931?hash=item43ec66f7db:g:2awAAOSw5dNWjZgy&item=291728979931&vxp=mtr
the frt wheels are wheel speed not vehicle speed.. number 3 in the pic is the one
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thanks for the link to the scan tool- I will definitely buy one, but I can get the scan done for free tomorrow. Thanks for the pic, but I have an NP1 transfer case. I understand and agree with you regarding the front ones, but I figured there was no harm in replacing them too
ok free is good...I have that's exact scan tool and a few others I paid around 500 2 years ago// its a great unit...I use it when on the road or at home...great tool for the money does abs engine and air bags and some live data..
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
That is really good to know. I will order one tomorrow. In the meantime, though, I need to grab some sleep since I need to be on the road in less than 5 hours. I will keep this link open and get back to you as soon as I am done. Thanks again for your help. Speak with you tomorrow afternoon or later (if you're not available until later). Tom
k
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hey John- Not sure if you are on line, but a few developments since last night. On my way to my appointment the alternator failed. Had it towed, rented a car, and left it with the guys who towed it for replacement of the alternator. I called them 10 minutes ago to see if it was ready and they told me they put in a new alternator but the ABS light were still on. I asked them if they could get out of second gear or if the speedo worked and they told me they didn't know. They told me that it was showing codes CO 265 and CO 236. I told them I had replaced three sensors yesterday and they told me they were going to have to run the codes again. Waiting for them to call me back.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hey John- I posted the previous update with the codes a couple days ago and haven't heard back from you. In the meantime, I retrieved the car and the problem has not been corrected. Please let me know your thoughts at your convenience. Thanks.
sorry was out of town follow the attached flow charts