Andrew Martin
Andrew Martin,
Experience:  Technician at Wile Hyundai
92331225

With 230K miles on it, last Fall I had the front end of my

Customer Question

With 230K miles on it, last Fall I had the front end of my 1999 Siverado rebuilt. New upper arms, lower ball joints, inner/outer tie rod ends, bushings etc. It drives straight ahead just fine and doesn't creak and groan when driving in a parking lot BUT it now scrubs the tires when turning hard as in parking. Three alignment checks in two different shops find no problems but I can tell that the tires are taking a beating from the scrubbing. Have also verified that the front 4WD differential allows each front wheel to turn when the other is held. At this rate, the new tires on this truck won't last 5K miles. Ideas?
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a Chevy. The Chevy Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: I'm working with the mech that did the rebuild but he is out of ideas.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Chevy Mechanic should know about your Chevy?
Customer: Can't think of anything pertinent. The front end had gotten drifty before the rebuild and feels tight now but now it has this issue with turning.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chevy Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Andrew Martin replied 7 months ago.
Did you put oversized tires on the truck? Also, when the alignment is checked, is the caster within specification?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Castor, camber, toe for front Left, Right, and Cross are all within the Specified Range per the printouts given to me. SAI angle is 11 on the left and 10 on the right but there is no spec shown for what is proper. There is no measurement or mention of Scrub Angle in the alignment printouts. Is it possible to even change this in the course of a front end rebuild? As for tires, it's got new Goodyear All Terrain T/A's as it's worn several times before. The front differential appears to unlock when not in 4WD but does when in 4WD as checked by lifting one wheel and turning it by hand while the other stayed on the ground. Ideas?
Well if all of the alignment specs are in then the only other thing I can think of is the ride height may be off. Check the torsion bar bolts maybe tighten then up and raise the front end up a bit and see if it stops rubbing