GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.

I have a 2008 Suburban with 105000 miles - I am told I need

Customer Question

I have a 2008 Suburban with 105000 miles - I am told I need a new engine!1t is burning oil - 1 qt. per 500 miles!!
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a Chevy. The Chevy Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: It has always been a problem "the engine/oil" since purchase. I have had it towed 5 times for issues (had the 100K insurance). Now that I'm over the 100K mark, it is an issue.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: I can't afford a new suburban or engine (4500+ quoted) - so yes!
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: My mechanic says put heavy oil in it - but he recommends a new engine!
JA: Is there anything else the Chevy Mechanic should be aware of about your Chevy?
Customer: He has worked on my cars for 20 years - I trust him!
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chevy Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Eric replied 6 months ago.
HI, Ok, did your mechanic due a dry and wet compression test to determine the cause of the engine burning so much oil, which will either be worn valve seals and guides or worn piston rings? If so, what is he saying is the cause - the valve seals and guides or piston rings?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Mechanic has done most of the work on the car since I have had it (Dec. 2007). It has been well maintained - I have had problems with the oil pressure since owning the car. It has been at 3 dealership (Dominion, Royal, Moore, ect - they cannot find the problem!).
Expert:  Eric replied 6 months ago.
HI,Ok, but that doesnt answer my question on what the problem is. I cannot tell you how to either do a repair yourself, or if your mechanic is going to do the work, what actually needs to be done unless I know exactly what the problem is
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Can't afford any more $$!!
Expert:  Eric replied 6 months ago.
HI, I will opt out at this point. I cannot tell you have repair your vehicle when you cannot tell me exactly what was found wrong with it - what the cause of it using too much oil. I can guess, but that is not professional service, so I will opt out
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 6 months ago.
Hi, My name is ***** ***** for the delay.I will do my best to assist you.what engine do you have?does it rattle or knock?