Chris (aka-Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience

Chevrolet silverado k2500: 2004 K2500 6.6 with key on ebcm

Customer Question

2004 K2500 6.6 with key on ebcm clicks, service brake message on/off and both brake indicators on/off, fuel gauge goes to empty and prndl loses indicator
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Chris (aka-Moose) replied 6 months ago.
Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose). I normally log in after 3 pm central. Please make sure to let me know exactly what is needed from me so I can provide EXCELLENT 5 STAR service. Sorry no one has gotten to you yet. I believe I can help if your still in need of help after this long wait?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Yes still in need of help
While driving, do the brakes work correct?On/off means those lights are flashing?While the EBCM is clicking, is the BRAKE 10 amp fuse under the dash fluctuating in voltage?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No the lights are on, then go off, not flashing, all happens when key 1st on or after first 5 minutes of start up usually, brakes appear to function fine, unsure of voltage on fuse
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
also had installed a new ignition switch with no change in result, tried backing out 1 wire at a time at ebcm, still clicks, unplugged speed sensors, tested circuits for short to power or ground, no luck there either.
Let me know when you can check that fuse.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
ok thanks prob wont be til tomorrow as truck is gone at moment...
No problem
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
is this a common thing or an odd ball in ur experience
It is not common.
Hello again Chris here,1) When customers come to Just Answer the website and the experts want them to have a great 5 star experience.2) We also want them to be so pleased that they come back for future needs.3) I have the feeling you were not pleased with my help because the post was not rated and or you need me to help more. If so please do reply.4) I have an option for an additional fee to upload diagrams, repair guides, find a repair facility, or call you if that would help. Thanks Chris
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Im sorry never replied, truck has been gone, another guy looked at it; said large ground wire at EBCM had enough voltage to arc when touched to ground, he smoked new EBCM, he ran redundant ground and all appeared ok until driven a while.Red and Amber brake lamps come on and "service brake system" on DIC, loses comm. with EBCM when this happens, can comm. with PCM TCM Etc.tho. now lights on and no comm. with EBCM so i assume 2nd EBCM is toast. any ideas? thanks
Expert:  Chris (aka-Moose) replied 5 months ago.
With all these lights are there codes stored now?Is the EBCM getting power and ground?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I believe the module is smoked, no communication with it, it had battery and ground b4 haven't checked it now,
Power and ground do need to be checked before diagnosing the communication wires.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Agree with that but last time ebcm was changed that was the only way it had communication back....
The EBCM would have to have a wiring issue on the power or ground circuit for it to be internally smoked, like wired backwards or something like that.