Dave Nova
Dave Nova, Chevrolet Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certification. GM World Class Certification
11042942

Chevrolet Cavalier LS: 1992 Chevy Cavalier 2.2L w/ Manual Trans.The

Customer Question

1992 Chevy Cavalier 2.2L w/ Manual Trans.
The gear shift on the floorboard won't move to Reverse, or 5th Gear. It seems like the mechanism to allow it to move to the right, is not working. Even if engine not running. I'm thinking of removing the center console and looking at the mechanics (before looking at the linkage below the car). It is too low for me to crawl under, so I'll have to jack it up to get a good view. Thx, Mike
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 7 months ago.
Shift linkage at the transmission is viewable from under the hood. Look down past the brake fluid reservoir at the top of the transmission and have someone else move the shifter from side to side and then forward and backward. There are two shift cables, you will likely see that the bushing end in one of these cables is bad. Let me know if you need additional assistance.