John, ASE Master Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Master Technician, ASE Certified Service Consultant, 22 years professional experience

Chevy Trailblazer: I am new to the forum and have questions

Customer Question

I am new to the forum and have questions regarding my truck. I have a '03 Trailblazer 4WD. with 151,000 miles. it is my every day vehicle and also use it to tow my boat. recently I was at a stop light first in line waiting to make a left turn in the afternoon, and it all of a sudden just died on me with out warning. I tried to start it 3 or 4 times and it did absolutely nothing. I had to have it towed to a near by mechanic where it sat for the night. the next morning i stopped at his shop and had to get a jacket out of my truck and figured i would try and start it. surprisingly it started as if nothing were wrong! I left it with them and they cleaned and tightened the grounds on it, cleaned the throttle body and i picked it up. all that was late last week and they said they are are not sure if this was the cause. i still feel like it wants to die on me in afternoon heat while sitting still at traffic lights. so all that said, my question is what what would cause it to die? I am wanting to get it fixed so that i can TRUST it again! any answers would be greatly appreciated!!!
thanks in advance!!
Category: Chevy
Expert:  John replied 6 months ago.
Hello Ted, my name is ***** ***** pretty typical of a failing fuel pump. If the pump fails and falls on a bad spot in the pump motor) it won't restart. Then what usually happens is when it gets towed the fuel pump is jostled around and lands on a good spot in the windings and it starts back up. You can test this by banging on the fuel tank with your hand if it happens again. If it starts up after banging on the tank (same effect as the tow truck) then it is likely that the pump is the problem. This is not fool proof but happens a lot! A good mechanic can check out the fuel pump (even with it running) by checking fuel pressure and using a lab scope to look at the waveform of the pump. If they are familiar with this test they will know what to look for. If they are not, find a different mechanic.There are certianly other possibilities but I think this is the most likely. Has the check engine light been on whole the truck was running? If so, this also may lead to a solution.Let me know how it goes.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
no check engine light when running. everything was normal till it quit. is fuel pump expensive to fix? would adding Fuel cleaner to the gas tank help take care of some of this issue?
again thanks in advance
Expert:  John replied 6 months ago.
Fuel cleaner will not help since this fuel pump problem is an electrical problem in the pump. The fuel pump rerplacement could be $600-$700 for a good quality pump. I would avoid the cheap aftermarket brands.
Expert:  John replied 5 months ago.
Just following up to see what you figured out. PLease let me know if I can be of any further assistance and please don't forget to provide a positive rating if you found my efforts helpful.John