GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.

Reverse light do not work on 2015 3500 HD .fuses under hood

Customer Question

reverse light do not work on 2015 3500 HD .fuses under hood are good but there is no power on either aide of fuse.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a Chevy. The Chevy Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: back up lights do not work. there is no power at the fuses under hood and the fuses are both good.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes it seems like it should be simple,
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: checked under hood fuses, and checked all fuses on both sides of dash. the problem happened while wiring new lights. this is a cab and chassis truck.
JA: Is there anything else the Chevy Mechanic should be aware of about your Chevy?
Customer: brand new truck, while wiring new lights accidentally touched a hot wire to ground. all other lights work fine.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chevy Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 6 months ago.
Which engine and transmission do you have in your 3500 HD ?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Duramax Allison trans
Does shift indicator on dash show R when in reverse?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Do you know which lighting circuit you shorted prior to this happening?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Had to be reverse light. everything else works
Check voltage at VEH BACKUP and TRLR BACKUP fuses in the underhood fuse panel. Make sure engine is running and transmission is in reverse. This will of course require an assistant to hold the brakes for you.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
will try this tomorrow, but if there is no power there how could there be voltage?
There is a relay that supplies power to these fuses, but will only energize with engine running and transmission in reverse. Otherwise there is no power (voltage) at these fuses.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
where is that relay?
This relay is built into the underhood fuse panel. It is not accessible, or serviceable.