AMEDEE
AMEDEE, CHEVY TECHNICIAN
Experience:  ASE certified tech ADVANCED LEVEL SPECIALIST. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

My ignition will not turn off JA: Sometimes things that you

Customer Question

my ignition will not turn off
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a Chevy. The Chevy Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: my 2004 chevy express 2500 battery died , now the security light is lit, it starts no problem but it will not shut off , the key works fine
JA: A security light issue can be an easy fix, once you get all the information you need. Luckily, the mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the ins and outs of the issue. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: i pulled the ignition lock and reinstalled, tried the relearn process didnt work, changed igniton switch, nothing still, tried resetting battery still the same thing starts and runs fine but will not shut off
JA: Is there anything else the Chevy Mechanic should be aware of about your Chevy?
Customer: never had a problem
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chevy Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 7 months ago.
Hello and welcome! My name isCustomerand I can assist you with your question. Can I start by getting your VIN? Thank you!
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
1gcgg25u441192086
2004 chevy express 2500 with 6.0
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 7 months ago.
Thank you. So your saying that the key turned to the off position and comes out of the ignition however, the engine remains running?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
yes
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 7 months ago.
Ok, then this is a bad ignition switch (either the lock cylinder mechanical part of the electronic part) not sending the correct signal to the right circuits preventing the engine from turning off.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
i changed the electronic part of the switch the part store told me not to get the mechanical part, i going to pick that up now and change it thank you!
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 7 months ago.
As long as the electronic part is installed correctly, then yes, I suspect the problem is the ignition lock cylinder. You are most welcome!
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 7 months ago.
I am glad I can help! It has been a pleasure working with you. Please dont forget to honor your good faith deposit by rating my answer as "Excellent Service" for assisting you today. Please let me know if you have any further questions.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
neither the switch or lock cylinder fixed the issue,, still starts but will not shut off
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 7 months ago.
Thats because the electrical part of the ignition switch is installed incorrectly.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
it starts but doesnt shut the engine off it turns correctly to the on and off position and releases the key but doesnt turn the engine off
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
and security light is lit when the truck is on or off
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 7 months ago.
Try removing the electrical part of the ignition switch and then reinstalling it again. I have a feeling that will do the trick.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
i removed and reinstalled it still does it , security is lit solid with the truck off and no key inserted, i also turned the truck on manually with the electronic ignition and shut it off it still would not shut off
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 7 months ago.
Disconnect the electrical connector going to the electrical portion of the ignition switch and see if the engine turns off..