GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

I need a starter drive 1971 k10 chevy. i dont remember

Customer Question

i need a starter drive for a 1971 k10 chevy. i dont remember the sd number.. but it had a
larger drive gear to remeedy the problem of the drive gear being to far form the flex plate. from the starter to the crank.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Roy replied 7 months ago.
good evening my name is ***** ***** I will assist there were 2 starts available back then. the starter motors either had staggered bolt pattern or parallel bolt pasterns. the difference is one will not contact the flywheel. it is not the start drive it is the location of the starter itself. do you know which one you have?? Roy
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
staggered. niehoff used to make sd # ***** drive that would reemed this. I have used this starer drive many times about 20 to 25 years ago. but do not remember the number or know if thay still make one.any other ideas how to remedy problem.
Expert:  Roy replied 7 months ago.
is the staggered starter what you removed??
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
yes also replaced with a staggerd and a new 168 tooth flex plate three times. they lasted about 7 to 10 starts each before I had to turn the motor by hand to get the starter to ingage better teeth
Expert:  Gary replied 7 months ago.
Hi there,How about this one:http://www.ebay.com/itm/BWD-SD209-Starter-Drive-/380438776846?fits=Make%3AChevrolet%7CModel%3AG20+Van&hash=item5893eb0c0e:g:hHoAAOxy4t1ShrsR&vxp=mtrBWD SD209I would also fit the starter with the trans out, engage the solenoid only, to check tooth engagement with the ring gear. Hope this helps.Gary