BOBBYSS
BOBBYSS, Master Technician
Experience:  ASE MASTER CERTIFIED, AA DEGREE AUTO/DIESEL TECH
1627031

I have a 2005 gmc w4500 with what appears to be a short. All

Customer Question

i have a 2005 gmc w4500 with what appears to be a short. All warning lights come on and off and then stay on reducing power and transmission shifting abiity. Any thoughts?
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a Chevy. The Chevy Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: All warning lights came on as I was traveling down the road. This lead to a major power loss. It was on and off and now it seems to be more constant
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: if i can
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Chevy Mechanic should know about your Chevy?
Customer: 2005 w4500
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chevy Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  BOBBYSS replied 7 months ago.
Hello, my name is***** you tell me if you have scanned the computer for codes?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No. I took it to my normal gas engine mechanic and he seemed to think it was a bad ground. He had me check battery connections. I cleaned them and made sure connections were good. No change as a result
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Would a bad alternator cause this?
Expert:  BOBBYSS replied 7 months ago.
If it was the alternator it can cause it if the voltage in the system was getting low enough. Most of the time it is a failing ignition switch.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
My normal guys scanner doesn't work on this truck. I was gonna take it to a local diesel place tomorrow. Will a scanner show the problem?
Expert:  BOBBYSS replied 7 months ago.
It usually will not show the problem but it may point you in the right direction. If there is some sort of signal or voltage issue then it is more than likely the ignition switch. If you get the codes and need some more help bring them to me and it will help me provide you with the best possible diagnosis.