Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  14 years GM dealer Technician.

The back driver door of my 06 impala won't open. We took off

Customer Question

The back driver door of my 06 impala won't open. We took off the door panel and messed with everything inside and to no avail it still won't open.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a Chevy. The Chevy Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: The lock is not stuck and all the door handles work.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: Took off door panel and checked lock and all rods to make sure no damage.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Chevy Mechanic should know about your Chevy?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chevy Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Pete replied 5 months ago.
Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay. Unfortunately in this situation here it can be difficult to open the door.Usually it is the door latch itself that fails mechanically needing replaced.I have had to replace it before for this issue here.Unfortunately getting the door open is an issue when it is stuck closed like this here.I know lock smiths can usually get it to open with their tools but I have also had to use a flat blade tool to pry around at the linkage to release the latch as well.In some cases I have used a grinder to cut the latch out carefully then open the door and replace it and sometimes the door latch striker on the body. If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Is there a certain part I need to pry on?
Expert:  Pete replied 5 months ago.
If you can see the linkage on how the door latch releases with the handles this is usually the part that you can try and move or pry on to open the door.In some cases it can be difficult to see this part and I have had to pretty much destroy the latch to get the door to open then replace it.This usually isnt an easy task when the latch fails like it has here. Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here. Thanks Pete