Gary
Gary, Chevy Technician
Experience:  15 years GM master tech
19513769

If the fuel pump is about to die, what symptoms does the pump

Customer Question

If the fuel pump is about to die, what symptoms does the pump have please?
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a Chevy. The Chevy Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: First I replaced the 2 knock sensors and the water pump. Then the van ran very good for about 10 miles, the it died on the street. I had it towed home. I suspected that something is wrong with the fuel pump, so I disconnected the fuel line, and turned on the key (not started yet), all lights came up and it pumped a little gas then stopped pumping, then I turned the ignition for about 10 seconds, the fuel did not come out, then I turned off the key, then turned on the key, some gas came out then stopped, then I turned the ignition then a lot of gas came out then I connected the fuel line and started the engine then it worked (I did start the engine before disconnecting the fuel line, but it did not start). Is this the symptom that the fuel pump is about to die please?
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes, I am doing this myself
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: I would like to know that is the fuel pump is about to die, if it is, then I will replace the fuel pump. Or is the problem on the fuel filter?
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Chevy Mechanic should know about your Chevy?
Customer: I think that is all
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chevy Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Gary replied 11 months ago.
can you tell me the year of this ?engine size ?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
2005, Vortec V8 4.8 engine
Expert:  Gary replied 11 months ago.
any access to a fuel pressure gauge to connect to the test port on the fuel rail ?if no will the engine run on starting fluid or carb cleaner being sprayed down the throttle body ?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
right now, the engine runs on it own fuel, but it did die last night
Expert:  Gary replied 11 months ago.
the odds are the fuel pump it bad or the electrical connection at the fuel pump is badboth very common issues causing this type of problemif it acts up again and it will run on starting fluid then make sure the grey wire at the fuel poump shows 12 volts when cranking it over if it does then replace the fuel pump
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
if I want to test the fuel pump, can I do it?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I don't want the van die on the street because it is costly to have it towed
Expert:  Gary replied 11 months ago.
if the van is running there is nothing to test other than the pressure testing with a fuel gauge connected to the fuel rail connector
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thanks so much for helping me
Expert:  Gary replied 11 months ago.
anytimeif you have any questions please ask as i do not get credit for my work until you rate us here at Justanswer
Expert:  Gary replied 10 months ago.
how are you making out ?if you have any questions please ask as i do not get credit for my work until you rate us here at Justanswer