Gary, Chevy Technician
Experience:  15 years GM master tech

Chevrolet K2500: When I start the engine on my 95 chevy k2500

Customer Question

When I start the engine on my 95 chevy k2500 v6, it runs normal. When the engine heats up the check engine light comes on and the truck loses power. If I'm on the interstate for about 5 min, the check engine light goes off and the power comes back. Any thoughts?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Gary replied 6 months ago.
can you tell me the code number or numbers setting in the computer current or history codes ?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I don't have the codes. Nobody has the adapter for the 95 to hook up to it.
Expert:  Gary replied 6 months ago.
this is OBD1 ?or it has an OBD2 connector on it ?
Expert:  Gary replied 6 months ago.
this connector here you have ?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Whichever scan tool they have they say that they need an adapter to hook up to the 95 to get the codes, so idk. Looks about right but my truck isn't with me at the moment.
Expert:  Gary replied 6 months ago.
try this and see if it will flash the codes for youWhen terminals "A" and "B" have been connected, the ignition switch must be turned to the "ON" position with the engine NOT operating. The MIL (Service Engine Soon) should flash DTC 12 three times consecutively. This would be the following flash sequence: One flash, pause, two flashes, long pause, one flash, pause, two flashes, long pause, one flash, pause, two flashes. DTC 12 indicates that thecontrol module diagnostic system is operating properly. If DTC 12 is NOT indicated, a fault is present within the diagnostic system itself
Expert:  Gary replied 5 months ago.
how are you making out ?if you have any questions please ask as i do not get credit for my work until you rate us here at Justanswer