Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

I'm Meryl JA: Sometimes things that you think will be

Customer Question

Hi I'm Meryl
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a Chevy. The Chevy Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: My security lock has been activated on my truck and I want to reset it,
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: The battery is unhooked and I have removed the 15 a fuses that has all been done about 5 to 10 minutes ago
JA: Lots of things can cause problems with the battery. The Chevy Mechanic will know what to do. Is there anything else important you think the Chevy Mechanic should know about your Chevy?
Customer: It's not the battery
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chevy Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Eric replied 7 months ago.
HI,Ok, we need to do the GM security relearn procedure 30minute GM relearn procedure: 1-TurnON the ignition,with the engine OFF.2-Attemptto start the engine,then release the key to ON (vehicle will not start).3-Observe the SECURITY telltale(this is the security light), after approximately 10minutes the telltale will turn OFF.4-Turn OFF the ignition, and wait 5 seconds .5-Repeat steps 1through 4 two more times for a total of 3 cycles/30 minutes(the vehicle is now ready to relearn the Passlock(TM) Sensor DataCode and/or passwords on the next ignition switch transition from OFFto CRANK). IMPORTANT: The vehicle learns the Passlock(TM)Sensor Data Code and/or password ***** the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK. You must turn the ignition OFF before attempting to start the vehicle.6-Start the engine(the vehicle has now learned the Passlock(TM) Sensor Data Code and/or password). Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. ThanksIf for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT today.Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better.All follow up responses are FREE, after completing the required rating
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
The tell light does not stay on it blinks for a second and then goes off just like it normally would
Expert:  Eric replied 7 months ago.
HI,Then there is nothing wrong with the security system, so what is current problem - no crank no start, crank but no start, or something else
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
It's not cranking or starting but the only light that comes on, on the dash is the security lock tell light nothing else
Expert:  Eric replied 7 months ago.
HI,But the security light goes off after a couple of seconds, correct?A security problem will not prevent the other lights from coming on or from the vehicle cranking. It would cause a crank no start condition and the security light would either stay on constantly or blink on and off constantly as long as key was in the on position. This may be a body control module fault, body ground issue, or even ignition switch issue. Do you have a voltmeter and good understanding of automotive 12v systems for testing and do you have scan tool that can read body control modules for faults
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No I don't
Expert:  Eric replied 7 months ago.
HI,Ok, all you can do is check for any blown fuses and replace them and make sure that the battery connections are good and secure, but without electrical testing equipment there isnt anything else you can do except throw parts at it until repaired, which gets very expensive very quickly. Unfortunately it is impossible to diagnose an electrical problem without testing the electrical system with proper equipment.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Okay what would a blown fuse look like
Expert:  Eric replied 7 months ago.
HI,there is a little metal filament connecting the sides of the fuse in the middle. I have attached a photo showing a good fuse and a blown fuse side by side so that you can see what to look for Because you can get a voltage spike and damage a component when removing and reinserting fuses, make sure key is out of ignition when checking them. And remove one fuse at a time and then reinsert it before checking next fuse so that you dont mix them up on where they go. Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. ThanksIf for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT today.Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better.All follow up responses are FREE, after completing the required rating
Expert:  Eric replied 7 months ago.
I noticed we have not yet resolved your concern you asked about. I would sure appreciate it if you would reply so I can offer my skills and knowledge and repair guide access to help as best I can.~Do you still need more help?~Confused by my info request or answer?~Need more time?~Confused on how the site works?~Need more detail or a different explanation?If the answer is YES to any of these just press reply and lets work on this concern some more.If you have new questions now or in the future please do not hesitate to ask them. If you would like me to assist you. Just bookmark this page so you can access my profile easy and post a new question from the question box on my profile page.Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks
Expert:  Eric replied 7 months ago.
If you have any other questions on this, feel free to ask for more help by clicking the REPLY TO EXPERT button, otherwise please click the OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE to pay for services rendered per your customer agreement as this is a PAYSITE and experts are not paid for their time, services, or knowledge until you do so.Thank you. If you have a subscription service, your rating is still required, however you are not charged again