Chris (aka-Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

4.2 cylinder 97 s10 wont start. It has no spark and the fuel

Customer Question

4.2 cylinder 97 s10 wont start. It has no spark and the fuel pump is not priming
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a Chevy. The Chevy Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: S10 pickup 97 wont start fuel oump wint prime and no spark.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: Just had it looked at.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Chevy Mechanic should know about your Chevy?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chevy Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Juan Crespo replied 7 months ago.
Hi there.Engine choices for a 1997 Chevy S10 are 2.2L inline 4 and 4.3L V6 - there is no 4.2. Which one are you working on?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
V6 4.3
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Car was running fine. Battery died, it was replaced and now it just cranks. Looks like it use to have chip/ pass key. But have not had to use it in a while.
Can you get access to a scan tool that can read data, not just codes?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Sorry no.
In that case I'll opt out so other experts may chime in. Please don't reply until another expert responds or the site will cycle this request back to me.
Expert:  Chris (aka-Moose) replied 7 months ago.
Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose). I normally log in after 3 pm central. Please make sure to let me know exactly what is needed from me so I can provide EXCELLENT 5 STAR service. The previous tech has opted out, would you like me to try and help?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Yes,
I have a 1997 s10 with a 4.3 l engine. I le g tbthe lights on. And we could not jump it. I ended up replacing the battery. It still will not start. It cranks but I do. Not hear the fuel pump start and starter fluid in the carb does nothing.
Thanks.
Since starting fluid will not even get it to start briefly that means there is no spark. Can you crank the engine with a plug out and confirm spark occurs?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I will seenif I can tomorrow.
Super
Hello again Chris here,1) When customers come to Just Answer the website and the experts want them to have a great 5 star experience.2) We also want them to be so pleased that they come back for future needs.3) I have the feeling you were not pleased with my help because the post was not rated and or you need me to help more. If so please do reply.4) I have an option for an additional fee to upload diagrams, repair guides, find a repair facility, or call you if that would help. Thanks Chris