Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Shop Supervisor at County Fleet
62275574

07 Tahoe liftgate does not open auto or manual JA: Sometimes

Customer Question

07 Tahoe liftgate does not open auto or manual
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a Chevy. The Chevy Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: The motor makes no sound so we have been opening it on the manual side but now that has quit working also
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: I checked the fuses they look good tried pushing in on the door and opening and didn't work tried pushing in on the door and unlocking and that didn't work
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Chevy Mechanic should know about your Chevy?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chevy Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.
These tahoes are notorious for bad latch assemblies that act just as you describe. The only real way to tell if the latch is the problem is with a scan tool that can monitor the position of the sensors inside the latch. If you don't have a scan tool then your only option is to replace the latch and hope it works. If you do have a scan tool you can try the following:1. Disconnect the connector at the lift gate latch assembly. With the lift gate latch connector disconnected, the 3 signals for the ratchet, pawl, and the sector should be inactive on the scan tool. 2. Use a jumper wire between each signal circuit terminal (for the pawl, sector, and ratchet) and the ground circuit terminal 2. Monitor the scan tool as each individual circuit is jumped to ground, the scan tool should read "active". 3. If either test above fails, check the wiring for the signal circuits, low reference circuit, or try a power lift gate control module from a known good vehicle. 4. If both of the above tests pass, monitor the internal switch inputs in the lift gate latch assembly for proper operation. • A) With the lift gate in the open position, the ratchet and the pawl should read "active" and the sector should read "inactive" • B) With the lift gate in the secondary latched position, the pawl should read "Inactive" and the ratchet and sector should read "active" • C) With the lift gate fully closed, the pawl, ratchet, and the sector should all read "inactive" 5. If one of the internal lift gate latch assembly switch inputs is not reading correctly in one of the positions above and the vehicles passes test 1 and 2 above, replace the lift gate latch assembly.
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.
Did you need additional help on this? If not, please don't forget to rate.