ironmike
ironmike, ASE Master tech
Experience:  30 years ASE Master L1 GM certified
11302663

Chevrolet Silverado 2500 HD: , I have a 2005 2500hd 4x4

Customer Question

I have a 2005 2500hd 4x4 6.0 with a bizzare handling issue. Problem has been intermittent for at least a year.
The truck is essentially undriveable at this point due to inconsistent steering, it feels as if pitman / idler are loose or the front wheels are going to fall off at times. It follows the grade of the road to the point of when following a banked curve I have to turn the wheel completely away from the turn.
EVERYTHING in front end has been replaced in the last year. In the past weeks I've replace torsion bar mounts lower ball joints, front shocks per chevy dealer diagnosis. New p.s. gear / pitman, pump idler arm and mount. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I'm ready to drive it off a cliff... and it may anyway on its own. Thanks, Mike
Category: Chevy
Expert:  ironmike replied 9 months ago.
greetings, has the steering intermediate shaft been replaced? the joints can get loose or even lock up and cause the steering to jump
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Yes twice. The truck also is very slow to respond around corners, then suddenly darts in direction of turn. Seems like a power steering issue because the position of the steering wheel is irrelevant to where the truck goes. Also had recent alignment which dramatically increased issues. Had to add a little toe
Expert:  ironmike replied 9 months ago.
have the front hubs been checked for excessive play?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Replaced
Expert:  ironmike replied 9 months ago.
did the shop that aligned the truck give you a copy of the measurements
Expert:  ironmike replied 9 months ago.
do you have oversized tires or off set rims?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Yes 265 75 16 not offset or lifted. Alignment was to specification
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I'm getting a Nasty shudder over bumps. If bump is while cornering it's scary
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I've had 3 mechanics look at it, and I have a lot of heavy duty experience. Not a ton with pick up s
Expert:  ironmike replied 9 months ago.
did you try to rotate the tires front to rear? I have seen bad tires cause a vehicle to go all over the road.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Even at slow speeds 10mph. I put New tires on rear less than a month ago, could definitely use fronts... I just can't afford to dump more money with no result
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I was wondering about the tires if could really affect it that much. One tire does have slight bubbling in the sidewall.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
It also dips hard when leaning into a corner. The thing that mystified me is that everyone I replace a component it's for a day or two
Expert:  ironmike replied 9 months ago.
try rotating the tires. I will be the alignment is not great either. Most techs will just set the toe and let her go. It can be a pain to do a full alignment. most alignment machines will just show the tech wheels angles and if the green they let it go. I am old school, if it can be adjusted I try to get caster, camber and toe as close to spec as possible.
Expert:  ironmike replied 9 months ago.
try rotating the tires. I will bet the alignment is not great either. Most techs will just set the toe and let her go. It can be a pain to do a full alignment. most alignment machines will just show the tech wheels angles and if the green they let it go. I am old school, if it can be adjusted I try to get caster, camber and toe as close to spec as possible.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Could that also affect the shuddering I'm feeling. It's scary bad even at 30mph
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Also I'm going to replace upper control arms tomorrow. There pretty rotted at pivot point.
Expert:  ironmike replied 9 months ago.
I have seen shudders caused by tire balance, and weak steering dampers
Expert:  ironmike replied 9 months ago.
Bad upper ball joint or upper control arm bushings would cause the alignment to change and cause the truck to wander.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I'll probably have to replace the front tires and have aligned elsewhere... if all front end components are completely tight are there any other possibilities?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Control arm bushings look pretty rough.
Expert:  ironmike replied 9 months ago.
I would say find a shop that has a good alignment guy. ask for before and after printout.
Expert:  ironmike replied 9 months ago.
a complete alignment can make all the difference
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thanks for your help I just needed reassurance. It seems like these trucks are a lot more sensitive than I thought. I'm just horrified after my last alignment when I replaced rear tires
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
One last question. When I replace the uppers should I also do alignment cams
Expert:  ironmike replied 9 months ago.
yep, I feel your pain. I HATE a truck that wanders or the steering wheel is off.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I've driven some craps but this is scary I drive 120 miles a day
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thanks again
Expert:  ironmike replied 9 months ago.
you are welcome. if it does not have cams it will make it easier for the tech
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I can go without cams? I'm confused
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
There are cams on it now.
Expert:  ironmike replied 9 months ago.
I know different years GM did have them. let me check
Expert:  ironmike replied 9 months ago.
from what I see it has the cam adjusters. they just have a plastic retainer from the factory that gets popped out .