sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience

I Have Tahoe Hybrid 2009. I had parked the car months

Customer Question

I Have Tahoe Hybrid 2009. I had parked the car for 6 months and when I started it the power steering doesn't work. Is taking to the dealership the only solution or are there any small checks that can be performed to save the cost for a possible solution? Thanks -Vish
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: The steering is very heavy. I can't turn the car at all.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Chevy Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 6 months ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!There isn't alot that could be done without electrical testing and a scan tool. The system is electric, assist coming from an electric motor on the steering rack. The motor is controlled by the power steering control module, which relies on sensor inputs to determine when and how much assist to provide. A scan tool is needed to communicate with the module and see if it's awake, what fault codes are setting, and possibly to look at data.It's very possible that wiring was damaged by rodents as the vehicle sat. The best things you could do on your own would be to check fuses and a visual inspection of wiring. Safety is a huge concern on a hybrid vehicle though because of the high voltage system, and I don't usually recommend repairs or testing be done by anyone that isn't trained in hybrid repair or without proper protective equipment. The steering components are in the area of other hybrid components, and the steering motor itself runs on 42v.