Dave Nova
Dave Nova, Chevrolet Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certification. GM World Class Certification

Chevrolet Silverado 1500: changed the radio in my 2002 chevy

Customer Question

changed the radio in my 2002 chevy silverado truck now it wont start without jumping and wont stay running unless you hold the gas down
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 6 months ago.
First it sounds like your battery is bad. I suggest having the battery charged and tested. Most auto parts stores can do this for you. For the idle problem, the computer reverts to a baseline setting when power is lost. To restore proper idle, the throttle body will need to be cleaned to remove carbon buildup. Remove the air intake hose and then use carburetor cleaner spray (or throttle body cleaner) to clean the throttle body. Open the throttle blade and clean the blade and bore.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Checked battery read 12 volts on voltmeter
A fully charged battery should read at least 12.6 volts and should not drop below 10 volts when starting. If the voltage will not hold, the battery should be replaced.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
From what I read sounds like pass code problem
The passlock security system will prevent starting, but the symptoms do not match the problems you have outlined here.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
You guys are pretty stingy with information I am very disappointed with your service and feel it was a waste of money not worth the original five dollars up front
Thanks for the info. If you have no voltage on the Dark Green/Red wire at the window switch, go back and test voltage at the circuit breaker. One of the terminals in the panel should show voltage (12 volts or more) with the key on.