Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Chevy Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs experience. State Inspector and Chevy Diagnostics
18617752

THE BRAKE AND ABS LIGHT COME ON WHILE DRIVING MY 2000 GMC SAFARI,

Customer Question

tHE BRAKE AND ABS LIGHT COME ON WHILE DRIVING MY 2000 GMC SAFARI, WHAT COULD BE THE PROBLEM?
JA: The mechanics have tons of experience dealing with ABS (as well as brakes in general.) Do you happen to have the code?
Customer: FOUND CODE CO265 FOR EBCM
JA: No worries. You and the mechanic can figure that out together. Ok, so other than the problems you mentioned, how has the car been running?
Customer: IT RUNS GOOD
JA: Noted. IÂ’ll pass this info along to the mechanic so that he can get you a quick fix. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: I TOOK THE CAR TO THE DEALER BUT THEY ARE CHARGING ME $1450 TO FIX THE PROBLEM
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: IF I COULD WITH THE HELP OF A MECHANIC
JA: Anything else I can tell the Chevy Mechanic before I connect you two?
Customer: I lost my brake lately so I brought my car to a mechanic who fixed it and said he replaced the booster and now brake is working good. I'm just not comfortable with the brake and abs lights on.
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chevy Mechanic about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 11 months ago.
The C0265 is a fairly straight forward code pointing to a problem with the Electronic Brake Control Module (EBCM) or the wiring to the Module. The EBCM is located under the vehicle, driver's side, towards the front. Carefully inspect the electrical connector and wire harness for any loose, broken or damaged wires. If the visual inspection checks ok, more commonly here, the EBCM will need to be replaced. Replacing the EBCM isn't all that bad of a job, however, after replacement, it will need to be re-calibrated. This will require the use of a scan-tool that can interact and program. I can provide you with the location and replacement procedure in a PDF file. Download the PDF file here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/pspff2jh2at4mth/ebcm.pdf?dl=0If my answer has helped you, please help me by leaving a rating or accepting my answer.Rating or accepting my answer does not cost you extra. It allows me to be credited for this Q&A. You can ask follow-up questions even after you rate or accept. Thank-you!