Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic
Experience:  Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.
14541291

1998 GMC Surburban SLT, 5.7L, Automatic. I am looking for

Customer Question

1998 GMC Surburban SLT, 5.7L, Automatic. I am looking for a wire that is HOT only when the truck is in Reverse AND UNDER the dash (steering column, I/P fuse block, etc). I have checked every Lt. Grn wire out of the steering column and they are always HOT regardless of shifter position.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a Chevy. The Chevy Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: I am hoping to fix it. I am not going to a mechanic... so yes I guess I want to fix it myself.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Chevy Mechanic should know about your Chevy?
Customer: Not more than I have already told you... vehicle description
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chevy Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 7 months ago.
Hi, My name is ***** ***** for the delay.I will do my best to assist you.i would think you will need to tap into the neural safety switch ..the wire that operated the back-up lights..the neutral safety switch [range sensor]is located on the drivers side of the transmission
the best i can do here would be to give you the wiring diagrams of the range sensor and the back-up lights,,,will that work for you?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No. The it has to be INSIDE the vehicle. I already know I could go to the PNP switch
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
As I described in my request for assistance, I looking to connect to the necessary wiring under the dash.
one moment please
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Sure thank you
the pink wire...
that gos to the fuse box..try it
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Pink wire is hot all the time. The Pink wire runs to the PNP switch then switches to Lt. Grn to control the B/U lamps. The trannie closes the switch and activates the Lt Grn to B/U Lamp.
ok..the light green
the lt green is only hot when in reverse
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I have opened the Driver Kick panel and disconnected all the connectors (only one has a Lt Grn wire), but B/U lamp still come on when in Reverse. From the steering column, none of the Lt Grn or Dk Grn, when given power, turns on the B/U lamps
Lt Grn from the transmission is only hot when in Reverse.
thats the only one there is
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Yes I have that schematic. So are we concluding that there are NO wires under the dash that are HOT ONLY when we are in reverse?
none,,the reason is because the range sensor on this one is on the trans
that is the only one there is,,the lt green from the range.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
The reverse camera is only automatic if I can get a reverse wire. Hmmmmm
i would think so...run you a wie from the range sensor
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Okay... I appreciate your attempt to help. Guess I am the same point I was already at.
yes,,there just isnt a wire to the back-up lamps in there on this year/modelthanks