Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.

2010 chev van 6.0 p1682 code ign stays engaged in crank pos JA:

Customer Question

2010 chev van 6.0 p1682 code ign stays engaged in crank pos
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Chevy. The Chevy Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: crank no start
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: checked fuses
JA: Anything else I can tell the Chevy Mechanic before I connect you two?
Customer: no
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chevy Mechanic about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Eric replied 6 months ago.
HI, DTC P1682- Ignition 1 Switch Circuit 2Diagnostic Fault InformationTypical Scan Tool DataCircuit/System DescriptionThere are 2 ignition voltage circuits supplied to the engine control module (ECM). The first ignition circuit is provided by the powertrain relay, through a fuse. This ignition voltage circuit supplies power to all the internal ECM circuits associated with the throttle actuator control (TAC) operation. The second ignition voltage circuit is supplied by the run/crank relay through a fuse, and is used to power the remaining internal ECM circuits. If the ECM detects a voltage difference between the 2 ignition voltage circuits, DTC P1682 will set. Circuit/System TestingNote: You must perform the Circuit/System Verification before proceeding with Circuit/System Testing.1. Ignition ON, observe the scan tool Ignition 1 Signal and the EC Ignition Relay Feedback parameter to determine which is more than 3 V lower than the other.Note: The Ignition 1 Signal is supplied by the Run/Crank relay. The EC Ignition Relay Feedback signal is supplied by the powertrain relay.2. Ignition OFF, remove the relay that corresponds to the scan tool parameter that is more than 3 V lower.Note: A resistance of 6 ohm or greater in the circuit/underhood fuse block will cause the DTC to set.3. Ignition ON, connect a 20 A fused jumper wire between B+ and the applicable ignition voltage circuit terminal 87. Verify that the applicable scan tool parameter displays between 9-14 V.◊If less than the specified value, test the ignition voltage circuit for an open/high resistance. If the circuit tests normal, replace the K20 ECM.4. Ignition OFF, connect a DMM set to the diode setting between the control circuit terminal 86 and ground. Verify the DMM displays OL.◊If not the specified value, test the control circuit for a short to ground. If the circuit tests normal, replace the K20 ECM.5. Ignition ON, verify the DMM displays less than 1 V.◊If not the specified range, test the control circuit for a short to voltage or an open/high resistance. If the circuit tests normal, replace the K20 ECM.6. If all circuits test normal, replace the appropriate relay.
Expert:  Eric replied 6 months ago.
I noticed we have not yet resolved your concern you asked about. I would sure appreciate it if you would reply so I can offer my skills and knowledge and repair guide access to help as best I can.~Do you still need more help?~Confused by my info request or answer?~Need more time?~Confused on how the site works?~Need more detail or a different explanation?If the answer is YES to any of these just press reply and lets work on this concern some more.If you have new questions now or in the future please do not hesitate to ask them. If you would like me to assist you. Just bookmark this page so you can access my profile easy and post a new question from the question box on my profile page.Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Can I read voltage at fuse no access to a scan tool now
Expert:  Eric replied 6 months ago.
HI, You can, but not always as accurate as using the scan tool