GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

My 1999 Chevrolet Express Van 5.7 L V8, has an issue where

Customer Question

My 1999 Chevrolet Express Van 5.7 L V8, has an issue where it runs fine but when you drive it the speedometer indicates about twice the actual speed. (ex. 30 reads 60, 40 reads 80) Once it reaches 100 mph (actual mph around 50) the engine cuts out. if you let it slow back down to below 100 it will reach 100 again and then cut out again.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Chevy. The Chevy Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: No it is in the shop. I'm trying to help him out. He did replace a sensor on the transmission without results.
JA: OK! The Chevy Mechanic will help you with the diagnostics so you are sure to get this fixed right. Good to know. The mechanics have tons of experience dealing with this sort of thing. How old is your transmission?
Customer: Original equipment. 97,000 Miles on it
JA: Ok. We'll get you to one of the go-to transmission guys. Other than the problems you mentioned, how has the car been running?
Customer: It had a problem starting after sitting a while. It has been raining hard. It dried up and started, but we suspected it needed new Cap, rotor, plugs and plug wires. So those have been replaced. It runs well now. Except for this Speedometer/Governor problem.
JA: Noted. IÂ’ll pass this info along to the mechanic so that he can get you a quick fix. Anything else I can tell the Chevy Mechanic before I connect you two?
Customer: No
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chevy Mechanic about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Daniel Jones replied 7 months ago.
Hello. Welcome to the site. Thanks for coming. I'm ***** *****. I'm here to provide as much information and insight as I can, to best answer your question.Can you give me your VIN# ***** I can see if there are any Service Bulletins?Thank you for posting your question.Your business is very valuable to us.Thank You ***** *****