GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

Bob I have a 1998 Chevy ***** ***** 4x4 I replaced the neutral

Customer Question

Bob I have a 1998 Chevy ***** ***** 4x4 I replaced the neutral safety switch and now the truck only starts if I move the shifter down to drive and move the shifter up to near reverse for it to start? What could this be?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Yea after installing new switch . Hooked battery up and went to start in park. Power but no start. Move shifter around and in neutral almost reverse it starts no problem . When trucks in park reverse lights on. In reverse lights off
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Chevy Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Super Mechanic replied 7 months ago.
Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** you for visiting the site. .It sounds like the shift linkage is out of adjustment. (cable).If you accept my additional service request for your email address, you can give me your email in a private info box and I'll send you the instructions in a PDF file, the file is rather large. You will just have to accept the additional service offer and ENTER your email address in the “ENTER CONTACT INFO” section so that I can see it. I do not have access to your email address,