Dave Nova
Dave Nova, Chevrolet Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certification. GM World Class Certification
11042942

My name is ***** ***** my issue is regarding an 2008 impala

Customer Question

my name is ***** ***** my issue is regarding an 2008 impala
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: it moves in 1st 2nd and reverse but wont engage d I replaced the 3 seloenoids in the transmission and nothing
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Chevy Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 10 months ago.
No engagement in D range indicates a failure of the forward sprag clutch. This is a mechanical clutch that does not use solenoids or hydraulics to apply. In Low1 and Low2 ranges, there is a hydaulic clutch that applies over the sprag clutch, effectively holding it. Replacing the sprag clutch requires removal and disassembly of the transmission.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
is it hard to change once the transmission is removed and taken apart
It is not a difficult once the transmission is apart. The largest part of the job is removal of the transmission.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Would u recommend dropping the cradle with motor and all to remove the trans.
Not on this vehicle. You should support the engine with a brace across the strut towers and radiator support. Then remove suspension cradle. Then remove transmisson from the engine, leaving the engine in the car.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
now can I access the sprag clutch from the side transmission cover that a had removed to replace the solenoids or do I have to acess the other side of the transmission
All internal access is through side cover that you removed previously.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
than why couldn't I replace the forward sprag clutch without pulling the transmission
It is possible, but can be difficult to reassemble transmission and keep parts in place with transmission in this position. With transmission removed and standing on its end, the parts can be more easily stacked into the transmission.