Matt, Engineer
Experience:  Honors degree in Mechanical Engineering, worked 8 years as a Formula 1 engine engineer.
12772297

Wasserman can you help me out? thanks,n. my trailblazer

Customer Question

***** ***** Wasserman can you help me out? thanks,n. my trailblazer mpg has drop off from 20 mpg to 15 mpg driving and pulling a trailer from 16 mpg to 10 mpg. I only get a code P0526 only but the fuel trims is to the -5% I did replace upstream 02 and that did not help. it is a rich on the short and long turm
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: it runs great, when I pull a trailer after a few hours it wants to chugs at 1650 rmps like a misfires till I get the rmps up higher
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Chevy Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Matt replied 7 months ago.
hello the get that code the engine control unit has sensed a lack of cooling fan speed so check if the fan is running when the engine is hot and the vehicle stationary however this shouldn't have much to do with it using lots of fuel This could be a number of things:Incorrect fuelling due to a faulty water temp sensor. If this is the problem then the ECU will be leaving the car constantly ' on choke' and not reducing the fuelling as the engine warms - so unplug the sensor and clean the contacts on both sides with some switch / electrical cleaner (not WD40) and inspect the wiring for any signs of damage to the insulation especially where it runs over other components and through the bulkhead- if this doesn't help consider replacing the sensor as they're not expensiveCheck for exhaust leaks before the O2 sensor as if this has been experiencing an exhaust leak then it will have been running very rich as the sensor will see the extra air pulled in as fresh / lean fuelling and be adding fuel to compensate. this can lead to catalyst failure as the extra fuel can re-light inside and melt the catalyst The best way to find an exhaust leak is to run the engine from cold and feel around the exhaust joints with your bare hands - you'll have about 30 seconds before it all gets too hot and you should feel any escaping gas blowing over your fingers One other thing is to ensure that you're running on the correct grade of engine and gearbox oil as if its too thick or overfilled this will really hurt the fuel economy Air leak at the mass airflow meter -Any air dragged after the meter isn't 'seen' by the ECU and so not compensated for, causing rough running.Check the hose clips for tightness and inspect the trunking for any cracks or splits and also all the vacuum system, the small bore pipes and fittings for cracks and missing parts. The best way to locate a leak is to have the engine running and warm and then spray lighter gas around each joint in turn. If the engine rev's up you've found your leak.Binding brakes:Check that all the wheels can be turned freely by hand, and free off any sticking calipersIncorrect wheel alignment:Check all the tyres for signs of uneven wear if it has any then get it checked out at a place that does 4 wheel alignment not just front tracking and ensure tyres are pumped up to their recommended maximumInjectors are clean and not dribbling - add a bottle of injector cleaner to the tank