Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  35 years experience with ASE Certs
7276279

1988 chevy Camaro Iroc z-28, no start back firing through

Customer Question

1988 chevy Camaro Iroc z-28, no start back firing through intake.
Category: Chevy
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I just fully rebuilt this engine and tried to start it today but it is not starting only back fired through the intake once, it is a tpi engine
Expert:  Ron replied 7 months ago.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.Backfiring through the intake is in most cases caused by a timing concern and its likely you have your distributor installed incorrectly or the firing order is off. Start first with rechecking your distributor to be sure the rotor point to #1 on the cap with the #1 cylinder at top dead center on the compression stroke. If the distributor aligns right then recheck your firing order. See the firing order in the link below, copy and paste the link to your browser to open and view it.https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/Firing%20Order%20Apr%2017.pdf
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I have double checked the firing order and made sure that the rotor button is point towards no. 1 on tdc. I am at a total loss here
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Does it matter what direction the body of the distributor sits as long as the rotor is on no. 1
Expert:  Ron replied 7 months ago.
It should not matter as long as the rotation and firing order are correct. Are you sure you got the cam timing right?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I want to thank you for you time and response. it turned out to be trapped air in the fuel system from being open so long I guess, but I cracked open the fuel lines got a bunch of air with a small amount of fuel retightened the lines and she fired rite up.
Expert:  Ron replied 7 months ago.
Glad to hear you got it resolve and thank you as well.