Clayso, Master Automobile Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certified Automobile Technician. 30 Years Experience.

I have a 2003 cavalier that keeps running hot after about maybe

Customer Question

I have a 2003 cavalier that keeps running hot after about maybe 20 minutes of idling. We have installed a new radiator, water pump& tried 2 thermostats thinking maybe 1 was bad. the hoses aren't kinked.
Category: Chevy
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
it is a 2.2 OHV , manual
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Clayso replied 6 months ago.
Hi There, I'm Clay a certified master automobile technician with 30 years of automotive repair and diagnostic experience. Do the radiator cooling fans come on before it starts running hot? Let me knowThanks
Expert:  Clayso replied 6 months ago.
As long as the radiators cooling fan comes on and the engine is still overheating, most likely there is low coolant flow through the heater core. This vehicles cooling systems design uses coolant flow from the heater cores discharge to the thermostat to provide interior heat first, then to get the thermostat to open up. If flow is low or not hot enough, the thermostat will not open. Temporarily take a flushing tee and bypass the heater core, hooking the two heater hoses together. Operate the vehicle and verify the overheating problem is solved and that the lower radiator hose gets hot. If the problem is solved try flushing and back flushing the heater core and the vehicles cooling system. I hope this information is helpful. If you have any questions let me know. You can reply back to me through this thread at any time.Kindly rate my assistance in a positive manner so I may have credit for helping you.Positive ratings are greatly appreciated.Thanks.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
please disregard the previous question.
Expert:  Clayso replied 6 months ago.
No problem.