Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  14 years GM dealer Technician.
14928985

I have a 2008 Silverado and the battery keeps going dead JA:

Customer Question

I have a 2008 Silverado and the battery keeps going dead
JA: OK. To minimize me, please click the down arrow at the top right corner of this box.
Customer: brand new batter, runs great but if it sits for any length of time the battery goes dead
JA: Lots of things can cause problems with the battery. The Chevy Mechanic will know what to do. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: I bought a new battery, drove it and it runs and drives fine. Then it sat for 3 weeks no driving or starting it it appeared the battery was dead. So I charged the battery and it started just fine. Now, my daughter started it and drove 40 miles away to have dinner and while she was eating the batter apparently went dead. She is calling triple A but this is outrageous.
JA: OK. To minimize me, please click the down arrow at the top right corner of this box. OK. To minimize me, please click the down arrow at the top right corner of this box. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: possibly...I plan on driving it on a trip Thursday and it has to be fixed
JA: Is there anything else the Chevy Mechanic should be aware of about your Chevy?
Customer: it just started doing it. I have had the truck for 35 years without incident
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chevy Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Pete replied 7 months ago.
My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here. What is occuring here is what is called a battery drain/draw.One or more of the electronics is sticking on draining down the battery when the key is turned off.I have seen this occur before.What needs to be done here is to have the draw tested with a multi meter to read how many amps are being drawn and to locate the circuit and source of the fault.I will post the procedure below on how I test this here. what needs done is to leave the key out of the vehicle with the windows rolled up and make sure everything is off with access to the battery.Set the meter to amperage or milliamp and disconnect the negative cable from the battery.Put the leads in the multi meter the correct way (negative in negative and positive in the amperage or milliamp slot if equipped).Connect one cable from the meter to the ground cable that was connected to the battery and the other lead to the ground terminal on the battery,this way the current is flowing through the multi meter.After around 5 to 10 minutes see what the meter reads for a amperage draw.Normally you want to see less then 50 milliamp or less then .05 amp.If you see over this amount of a battery draw/drain then your vehicle has an electrical component draining the battery.From here you would remove one fuse at a time with the meter still in place and observe the reading on the meter until you come across one fuse that allows the draw to read below the 50 milliamp.This is the fuse or circuit that has the component on it that is drawing down the battery.Make sure when you remove one fuse if it is not the issue reinstall it and move to the next waiting a minute between each fuse removed to get an accurate reading.Once you find the fuse or circuit its on then you would look on a wiring diagram to see what that fuse powers and unplug each of those components one at a time until you locate the component causing the draw then this component would need replaced.If you need help knowing what is on the fuses circuit once the fuse is located let me know.If you do not have this tool for testing someone else will have to test it for you or a shop or dealer to locate the source.I have seen the radio and in some cases depending on the year the On star control unit cause this issue. If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.Thanks Pete