Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  14 years GM dealer Technician.

Rear lift gate and window on my 2005 tahoe is locked and will

Customer Question

rear lift gate and window on my 2005 tahoe is locked and will not open
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Chevy. The Chevy Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: How do I open the window or lift gate?
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: checked all fuses and tried unlocking with both internal and remote unlock
JA: Anything else I can tell the Chevy Mechanic before I connect you two?
Customer: no
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chevy Mechanic about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Pete replied 6 months ago.
My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here. Usually it is the lock/unlock actuator itself that can fail and on this model I believe this is part of the lift gate latch.If this is both the lift gate and glass for the lift gate that will not release/open at all this can be due to a fault with wiring being broken/damaged leading from the body to the lift gate itself.I have seen this occur before in several cases and had to repair the wiring.What will need to be done from here unfortunately is the lift gate paneling needs removed from the lift gate to then access the lift gate latch and the latch manually triggered with a flat blade tool or similar to release the lift gate.The trim paneling usually will have to be repaired or replaced after this is done as it usually becomes damaged when it is removed with the lift gate stuck closed. If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.Thanks Pete