Chris (aka-Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience

I want to turn off the Daytime Running Lamp on my 2014 silverado.

Customer Question

I want to turn off the Daytime Running Lamp on my 2014 silverado. It came originally from Canada, I'm in Detroit and the second owner of this truck. The Canadian DRL can't be turned off except while in park. I spoke with a dealer in canada and they said a moduel is installed after it was built in fort wayne Indiana. Two dealers in the Metro-Detroit area refused to fix this issue for me telling me 'we wont remove a factory saftey feature'. Inittaly I just wanted them to make it so when I turn the switch to the left it turned off DRL, now if I have to do it myself, I dont want DRL at all. I'd even be willing to have my DRL be the parking lamp, just not headlights
JA: Good to know. The mechanics have tons of experience dealing with this sort of thing. How old is your transmission?
Customer: not old,why?
JA: Ok. We'll get you to one of the go-to transmission guys. Other than the problems you mentioned, how has the car been running?
Customer: perfect, it has only 30k miles
JA: Noted. I'll pass this info along to the mechanic so that he can get you a quick fix. Anything else I can tell the Chevy Mechanic before I connect you two?
Customer: I want my daytime running lamps turned off, nothing with a transmission.
JA: Got it. Let's get this figured out. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chevy Mechanic about your situation and connect you two. You'll be on the road in no time.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Chris (aka-Moose) replied 6 months ago.
Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose). I normally log in after 3 pm central. Please make sure to let me know exactly what is needed from me so I can provide EXCELLENT 5 STAR service. What size truck?Which engine?Which trim level?I may be able to get this disabled for you.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
1500 4wd standard cab short (6' 5'') bed5.3L v8LT z71
Lets try one headlight first and see what happens. At the left headlight unplug it. Now remove the brown or gray/blue wire from the connector. Reconnect the headlight. Now try the low and high beam, does the left headlight work right? Is the left headlight no longer a DRL? Below is the diagram I am using. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------On your screen at the top you should see a rating 1-5 stars and a green submit button. Please make sure to select one and press submit. I am not compensated by the website unless a customer rates. Rating only pays me from the deposit you have already made, it does not charge you more, nor close the post. Also all follow ups are free and welcome.Thanks Chris
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I work afternoons 2-10pm EST so I will try it tomorrow morning. How would I get to the wire? I'm going to assume that this will not work, or it will show the headlight being burned out on the dash. The DRL modification done in Canada involves some type of moduel or modification to the BCM. The only way to modify the DRL I've read about that involved unplugging a wire required wiring a relay to trick the bcm into thinking the DRL are on, and not burned out. I'm not interested in adding or cutting wires, just want it to be like it came off the line at fort wayne assembbly.Don
You would get to this wire by reaching in behind the headlight and unplugging it. I do not know what its going to show on the dash, since disabling features is not something most techs are asked to do. I am not showing an option on this model with out DRL, so I am not confident they added anything to make the DRL work. I would need to know the name brand of the kit they installed if its an aftermarket add on.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
They didn't add the DRL, the modification is making it so you can only turn the DRL off while in park. On American trucks, turning the headlight switch to the left after you start the vehicle will disable DRL but you have to do this each time you start the vehicle since it resets. On trucks that go to Canada, you can only turn off the DRL while the vehicle is in park. This is for Canadian law that requires headlights on all the time.
I have nothing more to add to the conversation that I feel would be useful. Would you like to try another tech?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
So at the low beam headlamp/DRL I see a red/black wire but I can't tell where the harness runs to. I also see white/yellow/black
OPting out now, best of luck.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
switched the locations of low beam supply (pin B) with the park lamp supply (pin E) in the connector. DRL are not off, but running parklamps instead of headlights