Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  14 years GM dealer Technician.

Misfire and check engine light is on...smells a little bad

Customer Question

misfire and check engine light is on...smells a little bad a times. 2009 Traverse
JA: The mechanics have tons of experience in that area. Do you happen to have the code?
Customer: No mam, not sure how to find out? Other than going to a shop first, any ideas?
JA: Not a problem. You can work with the Chevy Mechanic to figure that out. Got it. Let's get this figured out. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chevy Mechanic about your situation and connect you two. You'll be on the road in no time.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Pete replied 6 months ago.
Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay. With the check engine light on and a bad smell most likely one or more cylinders are over fueling due to an issue with one or more fuel injectors operating incorrectly needing either cleaned or replaced by a repair facility.Unfortunately what has to be done first here is to have the fault codes checked/read out with a scan tool that will plug in and communicate with all computers in your vehicle.Once this is done any codes set need diagnosed to locate and repair the fault here.Most shops or a dealer can read out and diagnose and repair the fault.A local parts store like Auto Zone will usually read out the codes at no charge to you but will not be able to diagnose the fault.I do suspect one or more fuel injectors at fault needing cleaned or replaced. If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.Thanks Pete