GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

Chevrolet Tahoe: I had a used engine put in my 2004 Chevy Tahoe

Customer Question

I had a used engine put in my 2004 Chevy Tahoe (4wd) from a reliable place. Had a so called "retired" mechanic working from his own shop at home due the install by 2 references. Anyhow... I got less than 6 miles down the road from picking up the Tahoe I was smiling like a kid at Christmas because it felt great to be back in it, here we go....the RPM shot up however the gas pedal did nothing. I was able to get to the side of the road Tahoe runs great but will not move. I called the guy, he said he put NEW transmission fluid in it instead of using old fluid but it has never heard of the tranny locking up from doing such. I just spent over $1900 and paid him CASH for the install. Again it starts great, will not do anything in R, D, 1, 2 or 3 just makes my RPM go up. Any suggestions, hoping by him adding new fluid he didn't cause more harm then good.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Jerry Newton replied 7 months ago.
I doubt that adding new fluid did anything to harm the transmission. I assume there isn't transmission fluid all over the ground or anything like that? It seems more likely that a cooler line came off, leaked the fluid out, and perhaps THAT'S the reason it won't move. Is the fluid level full with the engine running?