GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.

Chevrolet Cobalt: My daughter asked me if I could loan her

Customer Question

My daughter asked me if I could loan her $2000 to help her buy a good used car and was looking at a 2004 Chevy Cobalt. So I said okay and did some research on the car and all I saw on the internet were people who owned them and it seemed like dozens and dozens of the owners had nothing but trouble with them. Driving down the freeway at 60 mph to have the engine stop running scaring the heck out of them. Others at a stop light to have the car stall, many saying the engine would just shut down. They would take it to a dealer mechanic and they would say they couldn't find anything wrong but as soon as the owner drove away it happened again. All these people warned readers not to buy this car. Before I could stop my daughter from buying it, she did. She said she test drove it and it had passed DEQ and it ran a little ruff but other than that it seemed okay. Then when she came to a stop light, it stopped running. She wound up having it towed home and there it has sat for months because she didn't have the money to get it fixed and didn't want me to know because she felt so bad. Do you have any idea what could be wrong with her car and why so this has happened to so many people?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  JOHN aka Eauto replied 6 months ago.
was the ignition switch replaced under the recall?