GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

I replaced my CRANKSHAFT POSITION sensor, ,now the code I

Customer Question

I replaced my CRANKSHAFT POSITION sensor, ,now the code I have is p1621 and the engine runs for a while but will completely die, but will restart later. Is this a memory problem with the TCM OR PCM. THANKS Johnnie
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Dan replied 8 months ago.
Hello, my name is*****'m assuming you meant to say 2004? Thanks.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
2002,s10
Expert:  Dan replied 8 months ago.
You did't have this code before replacing sensor? I'm assuming you tried to reset the code to see if it comes back? Thanks.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
No, I only had po336,po300,, po442,po410. Now only p1621, po420 is my air pump is not working.
Expert:  Dan replied 8 months ago.
P0420 would mean the catalytic converter has failed. P1621 is related to the programming of the PCM which is the main engine computer. Have you tried to reset the codes to see if P1621 comes back?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I reset them, but my battery died , so I have not driven the S10 yet. My catalyst convertor has 75000 miles on it, it is only 3 years old, I have had trouble keeping my air pump running.
Expert:  Dan replied 8 months ago.
If problem was air pump then you would have different codes. The air pump is only suppose to run on cold start ups. This code could just be from battery dying so take if for another drive tomorrow and let me know if code comes back after resetting. Thanks.