GM Bob
GM Bob, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  30 plus years. experience as GM technician, ASE Master Technician and GM Certified.

Chevrolet Impala LS: My wife's 2002 Chevy Impala has an issue

Customer Question

My wife's 2002 Chevy Impala has an issue with the turn signals. When multi-function switch lever is in either the right or left turn signal position, the rear signals fire as expected while the front signals fire dimly in unison. I have already replaced the multi-function switch and the hazard light switch. I don't know what to do next.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  GM Bob replied 6 months ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I can help.It sounds like you have a bad ground to the front turn signals.I have found wires damaged just below the battery. There is a main connector there. Sometimes battery leaks damaging the wires or connector.Check that if ok need a test light or voltmeter. So we can do some testing
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Okay, I have a test light and just did some experimenting. If I disconnect one of the forward light assemblies (connector leading into the headlight/blinker housing, the connected blinker works fine, but they immediately go back to firing dimly and in unison when I reconnect, so I know that their is a bridged connection somewhere that there shouldn't be. No obvious damage to the harness or main connector below the battery. Should I just work my way up the chain, removing the exterior shielding until I find some exposed copper, or is there a more efficient way for me to narrow down the search?Also, I've noticed that there are two positive leads on each blinker, and I'm wondering what the second's function is, and if I should be looking for the bridging on that line instead.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Update: no damaged wires behind the lights or in the engine bay. Currently moving to under the dash.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Update: no breaks there either.
Expert:  GM Bob replied 6 months ago.
Sorry for the delay just got home
Expert:  GM Bob replied 6 months ago.
I need to read your post
Expert:  GM Bob replied 6 months ago.
Are you sure the ground is good at each socket?The black wire terminal C
Expert:  GM Bob replied 6 months ago.
Can you add a test ground to the black wire?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Oddly enough, black on each side registered as a constant positive. I cut it on the passenger side to test out a direct ground to the bulb's individual circuit, and the bulb immediately blinked brighter and the other stopped blinking altogether.The turn signals blink at a higher rate of speed (when hazard is engaged, they blink at normal rate), as if a bulb has gone bad, but they all work independently at least.
Expert:  GM Bob replied 6 months ago.
Here is a link showing where the ground is for the lights.
Expert:  GM Bob replied 6 months ago.
If you don't have a good ground. You will show voltage on the ground wire
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I'll try scrubbing the connections there tomorrow and update.
Expert:  GM Bob replied 6 months ago.
Make sure the wire is good going to the socket.If you pull some on the wire at the ground eyelet.Make sure it does not come apart.Also inspect the wire for and damage Thank you for keeping me uodated