Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Chevy Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician, L1, Master GM Technician. Over 20 years of bumper to bumper GM experience.

Chevrolet Silverado 2500 HD Classic LT: my 2007 Silverado 2500

Customer Question

my 2007 Silverado 2500 has an intermittent low radio volume,chime volume,t/s volume. According to my option code I have a UQ3 radio option which says no amplifier.With that in mind what controls it?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Jerry Newton replied 6 months ago.
What is your VIN?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
did you receive my reply?
Good morning, sorry for the long delay. I was having a hard time figuring out what audio system you had based on what you wrote previously. By VIN, you don't have a Silverado Classic, you have a new body style Silverado (new for 2007my). I got that all worked out now. Anyway, the answer here is likely going to be radio internal failure. There is a possibility that the BCM (body control module) is commanding this lower volume, and the only way to know that is with a factory scan tool, when the radio is acting up, and watching the data to see what's going on with volume command. But in all likelihood, this is a radio issue that will require radio replacement. You can get a junkyard radio, they have lots of them in most junkyards, but any replacement radio will require some scan tool work to get past security and get it working, it's NOT plug and play.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thanks for your help I'm a mechanic by trade with an independent garage this is a little out of my area. Alldata had me pulling the seats and console to find no amp. I did scan the radio and bcm but no codes present. I guessing this is as far as I can go until I get the dealer to hook up to it? And the radio would cause all the warning chimes to have low volume? I have six speakers and when this happens the two on the A post are the only ones with volume.
The chimes play through the radio speakers, as do the turn signal "clicks." The BCM generates these tones, but as far as I can read on this, it's just a matter of the BCM saying "play the turn signal click" or "play the warning chime" to the radio. The radio is the device that actually creates the noise, and also decides the volume (although the BCM can "tell" the BCM to change the volume of these noises), but when you're playing music and the volume is acting up, that's entirely a radio function. I'd be sourcing a used radio, if this were in my shop. I don't know if an aftermarket scan tool will program the radio, I've never attempted it, so worst case is that you'll end up at the dealer to have them set up the radio with the correct VIN so it will play.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
This one happens to be my truck or I would have passed it up lol. Thanks for your help
Sure, let me know if you need anything else. Please take a moment to rate my answers, that's how I get compensated.