GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.

19989 GMC C2500 5.7 ltr will not crank. replaced the upper

Customer Question

19989 GMC C2500 5.7 ltr will not crank. replaced the upper intake manifold gasket,replaced the starter also. Battery was tested and is good. when you turn the key the engine does not turn
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: When the key is turned the engine goes clunk dash goes dim batt level falls to 9 volts, release key dash lights
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Chevy Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Chevy
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
neutral safety switch is good. Did not touch the distributor. Emphasis that when the key is turned the engine goes clunk and does not spin, starter replaced. Engine ran good prior to replacement.
Expert:  Gary replied 6 months ago.
I am sorry your having this problemwas it starting up fine before the intake gasket was replaced ?