sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

I started having problems just getting the starter to engage.

Customer Question

I started having problems just getting the starter to engage. Than I jumped the key switch, and added a start button. A few days later the van just died. No spark. I have 2suburbans. I took parts that worked in suburban, and put in Van. Including, coil, crank sensor, spark sensor,complete distributer. Put parts from Van in suburban, and they worked. Than I changed the computer.. Still no spark. And I put mass air sensor. It worked in suburban. At witts end
JA: Good to know. The mechanics have tons of experience dealing with this sort of thing. How old is your transmission?
Customer: Original. About150k. No spark,checked at spark plug, with neon plug tester
JA: Sorry, I missed that. Ok. We'll get you to one of the go-to transmission guys. Other than the problems you mentioned, how has the car been running?
Customer: Seemed normal. I don't normally drive it. Wife does. Nothing out normal. Could use tune up. But waiting to fix this. Just so I don't mess something up, and add to problem
JA: Noted. I'll pass this info along to the mechanic so that he can get you a quick fix. Anything else I can tell the Chevy Mechanic before I connect you two?
Customer: I read, tonight about other fusses to check for. Would there be voltage at coil, with key on? How would I check the ignition switch?
JA: Got it. Let's get this figured out. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chevy Mechanic about your situation and connect you two. You'll be on the road in no time.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 8 months ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with your question. Can I start by getting your VIN? Thank you!
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
It is a 2000 Chevy Express van conversion. The vinis #1GBFG15M4Y1198535,
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 8 months ago.
Thank you for that information. Does the check engine light come on with the key on? Are there any codes in the computer?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
This problem started a year ago. I did not get any codes at that time. In the past, I would get O2 sensor codes, and not pass inspection. Looking in to common problems, I changed changed the computer. Just this week. Ordered in on line, with vin#, as to get all updates, and flashed to my van(including milage). The computer I took out was very corroded.. Thinking about it more, I may have changed the crank sensor, with one not from my suburan,and not checked to see if it worked.
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 8 months ago.
The reason I ask is because the computer may not be "awake" with the key on. If so, then we need to check for a reference going to the cam and crank sensor with the key on and we need to check for a signal from each senor as the engine is rotating. (It is very possible one of those sensors you put on this van from the suburban could very well be bad.) We will also need to check for power and a ground signal trigger going into the ignition coil while cranking the engine over. You could simply just have a bad ignition module. Was this replaced?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I am a pretty good parts changer. And mild trouble shooter. But all my experience is with pre-compter cars. Would I get 12 volts at coil with key on, and not running? I just don't have enough experience to know what else to check
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I did take,install,a module from suburban in Van. Than put module from Van in suburban, and it started
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 8 months ago.
Here is how to check the inputs to the ignition coil while cranking. First, check to see if the pink wire has power going into the coil with the key on and cranking. If this checks out good, then we check for a ground signal trigger. This is done with a test light. But only you would hook it up backwards. Hook the alligator clip of the test light and hook it to battery positive, and take the tip of the test light and touch it the signal wire of the coil. The test light should blink when cranking over the engine if its getting a signal. If you use a conventional test light, it will flicker very very dim (so look closely) if the coil is getting a signal to fire the spark
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
How do I wake up the computer? And do I test crank sensor, and cam sensor with a light or voltage meter?
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 8 months ago.
You would need to verify first that the computer is not awake or not communicating with the key on. IF it is not, then we need to check all powers and grounds going into the computer with the key on. YES, you can check the signals from the cam and crank sensor using a voltmeter.
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 8 months ago.
Going to get some sleep. Please run these tests/checks and let me know what you find!
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
It's 10:30 at night by me (Long Island), so this will be a Sat project for me and my son's. So, I will check coil. Than what next? And what if there is no signal to coil?
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 8 months ago.
If there is no power to coil, we pull a wiring diagram and check to see where you are losing voltage. If there is no ground signal trigger to the coil, we also pull a wiring diagram and back track in the ignition system to figure out why there is no spark.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
So, do I check each sensor the same way as the coil? With test light, on power, than reversed on ground?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Do I just open this page tomorrow, to keep with you? Or how do I contact you? Thanks for your help Dan
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 8 months ago.
Good morning Dan and sorry for the delay! Both the cam and crank sensor produce a 5 volt signal as the engine is cranking over. This will need to be tested/checked using a voltmeter. The signal will be an on off 5 volt square wave form as the engine is rotating. I work work all day tomorrow but will be on line tomorrow night and I have off on Sunday so we can chat then as well. I will also send over an additional offer with my phone number. Feel free to accept my offer and call me (anytime this weekened) and we can chat. If I dont answer, just leave me a message with your contact info and I will get back to you. Thank you!
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 8 months ago.
Hello! It's Amedee from just answer. I am just checking in to see if you need any further assistance? Let me know!
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Sorry for not getting back sooner. I am fighting a chest cold. Today I tested the coil. The pink wire is hot with key on. Pulses when I turn key. The white wire lights the tester,connected too batt. positive, lights with key off. Does not pulse with starter turning. What is the next thing I check? I have been reading more about the computer, and flashing it. I have changed the crank sensor. Does the computer need to learn that again? If so, how? And what about the cam sensor? The NAPA guy, looked on up for me, and he said that is in the distributer. Does the Computer need to relearn that to? And how? Is there a book I can buy to follow, step by step. Thanks again for your help Dan
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 8 months ago.
Does the check engine light come on with the key on for a bulb check? Is the computer awake?
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 8 months ago.
Was the ignition control module replaced?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Yes, the control module was changed. How do check to find if the computer is awake? Thanks Dan
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 8 months ago.
Check for a 5 volt reference with the key on at the TPS sensor. This will verify that the computer is awake.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I think the computer is awake. Last night it gave .e a P1336 codecode. The code for the crank sensor. But I will check the TPS voltage. Thanks Dan
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 8 months ago.
I think it would be best to continue this conversation over the phone. Please accept my offer and call me
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I'm not ready to call. I want to go over a few things, so I can ask and asweranswer questions, without having to go back and check something. Thanks Dan
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 8 months ago.
I will leave this question open
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 8 months ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!If you don't have ground pulsing on the white/black wire at the coil when cranking then the circuit is either open, shorted, the ignition module is bad, or the engine controller isn't commanding spark. If the cam or crank signal are missing or not in sync then you won't have a coil driver.Have you checked injector pulse?