AMEDEE
AMEDEE, CHEVY TECHNICIAN
Experience:  ASE certified tech ADVANCED LEVEL SPECIALIST. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

Brown JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details

Customer Question

***** ***** Brown
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I have a 2001Chevy 3500 express van. I have put on a new alternator. Van died in two blocks. Chevy house said I needed new ECM. Installed, programmed but van will not start. Engine light is on but no codes are showing.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Chevy Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Chevy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Never got a temporary password ***** I am not sure if I am logged in or not. Did you get the deposit?
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome! Are you saying now that the engine cranks over but does not start ever since the ECM was replaced? Or does it not even crank over at all? Are there any codes in the computer?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Engine has never failed to crank. Service engine soon light is on but no codes are shown, at least that is what the Chevy house told me.
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 1 year ago.
So it cranks over but does not start? Does it have spark? Does it run on starting fluid?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Have not tried starting fluid but I go get fuel out of the fuel filter when it cranks. Apparently no spark.
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 1 year ago.
Can you check for me?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes, but will have to be tomorrow. I have to tow it home from the Chevy house. If the ignition system has a failure ( coil or distributor) will it not show a code?
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 1 year ago.
It should.. Are there any anti theft or security lights on or flashing on the dash when trying to start the engine?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The lights burn for about 10 seconds and then go off.
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 1 year ago.
Have you tried to do the ignition switch relearn procedure after the ECM was installed?
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 1 year ago.
Here is the relearn procedure. Try this first and let me know how it goes. If this does not work, simply reply back so we can move on to other things.
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 1 year ago.
Attempt to start the engine, then release the key to ON; the vehicle will not start. Observe the SECURITY telltale; after approximately 10 minutes the telltale will turn OFF. Turn OFF the ignition and wait 5 seconds. Repeat steps 1 through 4 two more times for a total of 3 cycles/30 minutes; the vehicle is now ready to relearn the Passlock Sensor Data Code and/or passwords on the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK. Start the engine. The vehicle has now learned the Passlock Sensor Data Code and/or password.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK, tried the Passlock sensor reset and that did not work. The security light turns off after about 5 or 6 seconds. I still did the 30 minute procedure just in case but that did not fix it. We have it towed home so we can check the spark later today after work. Is it true that codes will only show if the vehicle starts? or is that problems that certain reader will only read the codes if the vehicle is started?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
or is the problem that certain readers will only read the codes if the vehicle is started?*
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 1 year ago.
Please accept my offer and call me
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You told me the charge would be $18 and it was $28. Now you want more money for a phone call when I have been waiting since noon for you to reply. Are you going to finish helping me with the van?
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 1 year ago.
Hello! YES, I am going to finsih helping you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We posted three times this morning. What is your response?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We have replaced the coil and the crankshaft positioning sensor as well.
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 1 year ago.
So does it run on starting fluid?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
negative
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
As best as I can tell we have no spark from the coil.
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 1 year ago.
And does it have spark?
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 1 year ago.
Ok, does the coil have power with the key on and cranking?
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 1 year ago.
Can you please post your VIN for me?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We have a two wire coil. We have power on one side. How do you want me to check?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1gbjg31r511239994
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 1 year ago.
Lets check for a ground signal trigger going into the ignition coil. This is the signal wire that triggers the coil to fire the spark. This is done with a test light. But only you would hook it up backwards. Hook the alligator clip of the test light and hook it to battery positive, and take the tip of the test light and touch it the signal wire of the coil. The test light should blink when cranking over the engine if its getting a signal. If you use a conventional test light, it will flicker very very dim (so look closely) if the coil is getting a signal to fire the spark.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
which is the signal wire?
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 1 year ago.
White/black wire
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
With the ignition in the off position the light burns bright. In the crank position there is nothing
.
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 1 year ago.
Ok, this means there is no signal. Are you sure that the engine light comes on with the key on?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The service engine light?
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 1 year ago.
yes
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The service engine soon light comes on in the on position
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 1 year ago.
Ok, good. Have you checked the signals from the cam and crank sensors?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Crank sensor has been replace. The cam sensor is in the distributor, right?
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 1 year ago.
You got it!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How do you test it?
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 1 year ago.
You should see an on off signal on the signal wire as the engine is rotating.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what color wire?
Use the test light?
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 1 year ago.
I will have to pull a wiring diagram. Did you say that the ignition module was replaced?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ignition module?
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 1 year ago.
YES it is number 7 in the pic..
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no we only replaced the coil
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 1 year ago.
Well, you might just have a bad ignition control module..
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
three wires, red, brown with white stripe, orange with black stripe on cam sensor
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 1 year ago.
You got it!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
which one is signal wire
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 1 year ago.
Brown/white
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
clip to ground, probe to brown and white wire. No signal
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 1 year ago.
If your checking this while the engine is turning, then the cam sensor is bad and will need to be replaced.
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 1 year ago.
I am glad I can help! It has been a pleasure working with you. Please dont forget to honor your good faith deposit by rating my answer as "Excellent Service" for assisting you today. Please let me know if you have any further questions.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So the cam sensor is in the distributor but will fix the problem with no spark from the coil?
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 1 year ago.
Based on what your telling me, yes
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 1 year ago.
Here is a wiring diagram..
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
and the ignition module?
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 1 year ago.
YES
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
good or bad?
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry I dont understand your question.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do I have to replace the ignition module?
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 1 year ago.
I would
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
All parts stores are closed. Can we contact you tomorrow if this does not work?
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 1 year ago.
YES
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
van started. Ran about 5 minutes. Died. Will not restart.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If this matters. The ignition module was replaced first. The van started and ran about 5 minutes. Replaced Cam shaft sensor. Van started and ran about 5 minutes. Died. Will not restart.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The van died after 5 minutes of running with replacement of ignition module.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Van restarted. Ran 3 minutes. Died.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Van ran for 5 minutes in park. Shifted into drive. Died 2.5 minutes later.
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 1 year ago.
Ok, run the no start diagnostic steps we discussed in this conversation above and let me know what the engine is missing.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
start with the ignition switch relearn procedure?
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 1 year ago.
no, the no start diagnostic steps
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Signal trigger for ignition coil. Test light burns in the key off position. Burns steady with the engine running.
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 1 year ago.
I thought the engine does not run?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Did you read my posts from the afternoon? Van will run in park. When you shift to drive it will die in 3 minutes.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No signal on brown white wire from cam shaft sensor with engine running
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 1 year ago.
So the entire distributor was replaced but there is still no signal being generated from the sensor inside the distributor when cranking? Is that correct?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
NO the distributor was not replaced. Just the sensor.
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 1 year ago.
I would verify the inputs are correct and then replace the distributor as needed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The van will run for 10 minutes plus in PARK but die in 3 minutes after it is shifted into drive and that is a distributor problem?
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 1 year ago.
It is possible
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not sure what you mean by verify the inputs are correct.
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 1 year ago.
The cam sensor needs a reference voltage and a ground to work properly.