Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Chevy Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician, L1, Master GM Technician. Over 20 years of bumper to bumper GM experience.

2006 Chevy 2500HD crew cab 8.1 vibration

Customer Question

Category: Chevy
Expert:  Jerry Newton replied 6 months ago.
What kind of vibration? When driving? How fast do you have to drive? When sitting still? With AC on or off? Give me as much information about this as you can.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
It starts between 48-50 mph at steady speed even or with out ac on, tires are 35 on 20inch wheels I've had them balanced twice I have two piece drive shaft which is in line I've had a front alignment done it does have a 6inch lift kit pro comp
Is it a shake, like it shakes the steering wheel or seat, or is it more like almost a humming type vibration that you can almost hear?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
no shaking at the steering wheel , I get a little shake in the seats but nothing like the death wobble its very weird bc at any speed under or over 48-50 mph everything is fine
So it's a higher frequency vibration than a tire shake, is that what you think? Tire shake is pretty recognizable, because we have a feel for how fast a tire is spinning when we drive, and the vibration goes along with that. A driveline shake will be 3-4 times the frequency, because of the gear ratio, and that makes the vibration feel completely different.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
it could be the tires but like I said ive had them balanced twice and shocks are new
When did this start, did you do the lift and tires at the same time? Was the vibe present before the lift and tires were installed? Tire "balancing" doesn't really mean much, because you can balance a tire that's square. The real question is whether the tires have radial runout. Lots of guys won't bother to look at the runout when it's spinning on the balancer, but that's what really makes a vehicle shake.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
when I bought it never had a issue and the lift and tires came with the truck. so real ? is why ive never seen anything like this
Definitely need to have the tire runout checked. By far, the most common cause here is going to be tires, especially 35's. They make tire balancers that measure runout, it's called radial force tire balancing. You'll have to call around to different shops and find someone that has this $10,000 piece of equipment to measure radial force, which is where vibrations actually come from. Tires change over time, and sometimes even suddenly, as the belts inside can slip and cause a ride disturbance. Balancing doesn't fix a tire that simply is not round, they have to be round. If those tires are round and balanced, and it's determined to be a tire speed shake (a shake that corresponds with tire speed), then I'd run the truck in Drive on the rack with the wheels off the ground, and watch them spin. You can have a bent axle flange or wheel hub flange that is allowing one of the tires to shake, even though it spins true on the balancer. Your mechanic should be able to identify this, if this is the case, it will be pretty apparent when the truck is run in drive on the rack.