Gary, Chevy Technician
Experience:  15 years GM master tech

05 Pontiac Montana it won't turn over just makes a clicking

Customer Question

05 Pontiac Montana it won't turn over just makes a clicking sound and it won't turn over starter and battery are both good
JA: Cars do make very odd noises -- They help the mechanics figure out what's wrong. They are terrific with my old Grand Cherokee. Anything else I can tell the Chevy Mechanic before I connect you two?
Customer: The lights dim but no cranking
JA: Got it. Let's get this figured out. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chevy Mechanic about your situation and connect you two. You'll be on the road in no time.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Gary replied 6 months ago.
do you have a multi meter on hand ?the starter itself just clicks ?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No multi meter and not at home with vehicle it makes one click then nothing before this happened was starting to crank slowly like battery was dying
Expert:  Gary replied 6 months ago.
if that battery is confirmed tested good for NO bad cells and good cold cranking amps and volts and both battery cables are clean and tight then the issue is going to be the positive or negative cable from the battery to the engine loose or bad or the starter itself is bad or the chance something either run by the engines drive belt is binding like the alternator or water pump frozen up or inside the engine bindingthe best action to take is to have the battery tested if that checks out put a breaker bar on the front center crank bolt and be sure you can turn the engine over by hand clockwise if you can then the starter is bad or the battery cables from the battery to the starterif you have any questions please ask as i do not get credit for my work until you rate me here at Justanswer