Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.

Chevrolet Captiva: - I bought a new Chevrolet Captiva (top

Customer Question

Hi - I bought a new Chevrolet Captiva (top spec) in 2013 and I am very pleased with it. However, I live in the Campo in Southern Spain and it is very dusty. The catolitic converta warning light which tells me it needs to be in self cleaning mode comes on every two to three months.
My mileage is very low (25,000km) and according to the manual when the warning light activates the car should be driven until the warning light goes out. The manual states by not doing this it could result in serious damage to the engine. This tends to be inconvenient and results in 25-30 kms before the light goes out.
The manual deals only briefly with the catolitic converta and I would appreciate any more information you could give me.
Your gratefully
Robert N Ware
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Eric replied 6 months ago.
HI,Ok, it should not be coming on that much. Reasons that will cause it to come on that often include poor quality fuel, engine running too lean or too rich, computer software outdated with wrong parameters and need to be updated, not driven enough at highway speeds and carbon is accumulating in catalytic converter.So, the first thing is to make sure to use high quality fuel and to drive it at least one to two times a week at highway speeds to ensure no carbon buildupIf still an issue, then the computer should be checked with GM scan tool for most current updates and parameters and updated if needed.If computer is updated, then the engine will need to checked with scan tool for running too lean or too rich and addressed. You dont want to ignore the light or address the situation as it will lead to failure of the catalytic converter, possibly due to restriction which will cause exhaust to back up into engine and burn out the engine exhaust valves. Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. ThanksIf for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT today.Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better.All follow up responses are FREE, after completing the required rating
Expert:  Eric replied 6 months ago.
I noticed we have not yet resolved your concern you asked about. I would sure appreciate it if you would reply so I can offer my skills and knowledge and repair guide access to help as best I can.~Do you still need more help?~Confused by my info request or answer?~Need more time?~Confused on how the site works?~Need more detail or a different explanation?If the answer is YES to any of these just press reply and lets work on this concern some more.If you have new questions now or in the future please do not hesitate to ask them. If you would like me to assist you. Just bookmark this page so you can access my profile easy and post a new question from the question box on my profile page.Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks