GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

Chevrolet Tahoe: hard to fill with gas and smells like fuel

Customer Question

hard to fill with gas and smells like fuel all the time. Been hard to fill gas over last few months. Customer states they have overfilled fuel just a time or two. Now beginning to smell like fuel, seems strongest by the fuel tank. Visually there are no leaks to be found or even residue of a small or past leak. No codes are stored and vent valve clicks when actuated with the scanner and it is not plugged.
Im assuming the canister is bad but I would like somebody elses thoughts before spending the money on it. Also any way to test it would be appreciated too if it seems like this could be the problem. Thanks!
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Jeromy Madison replied 7 months ago.
Hello, I would like to help you with your problem.The cause is usually only a couple of things for this issue. There is a valve that is on the top of the gas tank that releases pressure to allow it to filled with fuel. This is different from the vent valve.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.

Ah ok i just discovered I can't blow through the pipe from the canister to the top of the tank so imagine it's stuck closed..what is this,valve called?