mike switzer
mike switzer,
Experience:  lead diagnostic tech at Aamco
93239347

Chevrolet 2400 HD 4/4: chevy truck -- gas backs up when filling

Customer Question

chevy truck -- gas backs up when filling and shuts pump off too soon
Category: Chevy
Expert:  mike switzer replied 1 year ago.
canister purge valve is stuck shut or the purge line is clogged it is a common issue for many vehicles. if you blew air through the vent tube most likely the caniser purge valve is stuck closed not allowing the vapors to vent.
this is located on by the fuel tank depending on your frame set up it is item number two in both of the two attached photos.
if you have no further questions i would appreciate if you could take a moment to leave me a rating. and if you have any more questions you will still be able to contact me here even after rating me.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
now that I know what the problem might be --- how can I fix it ?
t is just needs to be replaced.
but you need to pull it off to ensure it is stuck closed. the valve should be open all the time. it is only closed for diagnostic testing
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
if i blew through the vent tube -- that would tell ;me the valve is open and not stuck shut == right ?
not really since the line is so long and it connects to the charcol canister it you can blow air into it with is stuck shut still this is pretty the only thing that will cause this
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
is there a way to check a closed valve by not removing the canister ?
yes it is not part of the canister so you can take the valve off without removing the canister
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what does the valve we take off look like and is it a fairly easy fix or replacement ?
i would replace it is an electronic valve
give me a moment i will pull up a diagram
i was looking it up it is on top of the fuel tank on the frame rail so you will need to remove the tank. it is the valve at the bottom of the picture
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
looks like quite a job, would you advise a dealer do it and about how much do you think a job like this would cost ?
Any shop should be capable of this task. And it all depends on the local labor rates out there but i would say minimum 500 to 700If you have no further questions i would appreciate a rating
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
is it possible the problem could be somewhere else, just trying to run down all of our options .
Not unless the main fill hose is getting plugged up and not allowing flow