Super Mechanic
Super Mechanic, Master technician
Experience:  29 yrs. exp., ASE master, cert. in G.M. electrical, a/c, susspension, brakes, electronic steering

Misfire on cyl #6 and a knock is present JA: The mechanics

Customer Question

misfire on cyl #6 and a knock is present
JA: The mechanics have tons of experience in that area. Are those all of the "symptoms"?
Customer: Yes
JA: Anything else I can tell the Chevy Mechanic before I connect you two?
Customer: No
JA: Got it. Let's get this figured out. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chevy Mechanic about your situation and connect you two. You'll be on the road in no time.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Super Mechanic replied 6 months ago.
Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** you for visiting the site..What is the year make model and engine of it please?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
2011 5.3l Chevy Silverado 1500 4wd
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The knock sounds more like a lifter noise. Ticking as you will and gets a little more louder as engine warms
I see, thanks. Does the ticking sound continue after the engine warms up? Also, do you know if the spark plug has any residue on it? (oil or carbon)
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Yes the ticking sound continues but gets a little louder while warming up and no I havent checked the Spark plug thus far
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
At first I thought it may be a lifter but the more I think it about it when it started doing it I was driving and it all of a sudden started but hasn't gotten any worse and thought maybe a coil pack possibly going bad or fouled plug I just wanted to check with an expert first
I see, thanks..Let me just say that any money that you paid, or if you have a subscription, that money stays in your account until the answers are rated, (positive) regardless of how fast or how long it may take to get finished. You can FOLLOW UP AT ANYTIME, even after rating. Although they did have a factory bulletin on the lifters in the AFM engines, the ticking would normally go away. It is possible though that the spark plug is fouled with some carbon or oil deposits, which would require an upper engine cleaning. If the coil for cylinder #6 is bad the plug would be fouled with fuel, or black from not firing..
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
OB scanner just says misfire on #6 cyl I understand it could be a number of different things(lifter, bent push rod, rocker arm fouled plug, broken valve spring etc) just wondering if I am on the right track, I have ruled out piston slap because its not a scuffing sort of sound it is just a ticking when cold that seems to get a bit louder as engine gets to operating temp
Yes, if it does get louder rather than subside it is more likely to be in one of the valve springs or rocker arm for the #6 cylinder. However, the first thing I would do is check the spark plug to see if it is fouled, as there were also some issues with oil fouling on some of them and would cause carbon deposits in the cylinder(s). That could be the root cause if that's the case. .Please don’t forget to rate the answer in a positive way, . EVEN IF YOU HAVE A SUBSCRIPTION ****THAT IS THE ONLY WAY I GET PAID ****
If you accept my additional service request for your email address, you can give me your email in a private info box and I'll send you the factory service bulletins in a PDF file, the file is rather large. You will just have to accept the additional service offer and ENTER your email address in the “ENTER CONTACT INFO” section so that I can see it. I do not have access to your email address,