Dave Nova
Dave Nova, Chevrolet Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certification. GM World Class Certification
11042942

Chevrolet Astro AWD: 2005 Chevy Astro with V6 4.3 liter. 158,000

Customer Question

2005 Chevy Astro with V6 4.3 liter. 158,000 miles. Engine is burning coolant. White smoke during startup out of exhaust. Once engine warns up their is no more smoke. Oil is perfect no indication of coolant in oil. Oil level is not increasing.If anything engine looses a little oil from a small oil leak on motor. Oil leak is small never even leaves any drops on the garage floor. Probably looses less than half a quart per 3000 miles. Engine burns 1 gallon of coolant per 3000 miles. Engine used to border line overheat in the summer temp gauge would hit 240 to 250. Dealer could not figure it out, I asked the dealer to replace radiator and that fixed overheating issue. Main question is what needs to be fixed to fix the burning coolant issue? What would the appropriate cost be to fix? Would there be any negative outcomes to the engines health if I continue to ignore this issue and keep adding coolant?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 8 months ago.
The coolant is likely seeping past the intake manifold gaskets over to the intake port for one or more cylinders. Sounds like a small amount and will not harm anything. The leak will likely get worse and start leaking coolant externally. At that point I would suggest replacing the intake manifold gaskets. Typical repair cost for this job is in the $350-400 range.
You just don't want to overheat the engine by letting coolant level get too low. This can lead to head gasket failure.