GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

Chevrolet Aveo LT: 2009 aveo 71000 miles engine began to stall

Customer Question

2009 aveo 71000 miles engine began to stall and surge almost like was running out of gas I replaced plugs did not help
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Ryan Schott replied 11 months ago.
Does is still run? Do you possibly have access to a fuel pressure gauge or a scan tool of any sort? and can you shoot me a VIN for it.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Yes stills runs. have access to a scan tool.
can you see fuel trims on your scan tool? If so what are they reading?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
It is a code reader
does it have any current codes?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Yes they are P0138 and P0001
P0138 would normally be a rich condition and seeing unburned fuel. I would still recommend testing fuel pressure if you can borrow a gauge but a few places to look right now is check if your throttle body is clean, carefully inspect the hose going to it, they are brittle and crack easily, those throttle plates get to gummed up too and the learned idle position will struggle. does it run better off idle or worse?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Runs worse off idle. When you put it in gear and start moving above 10 miles an hour it starts surging and going up and down like its starving for gas. It never dies though moving or idling
can you get a good look at the oxygen sensor wiring? sometimes they get routed a little too close to the exhaust and can melt. and can you hear any abnormal air sucking vaccum leak noise? these also did have an issue with cracks developing in the spark plug coil boots, they wound up making a special tool to remove the coil pack, did you happen to get a close look at them when you did the plugs? i sent 2 pics of extreme cases of that but you can see where they like to split
These are all good things to check but i think the first step if nothing stands out there is going to be a fuel pressure check, harbor freights cheapest one comes with the fitting to screw on to your fuel rail and is accurate enough.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Mine looked like new if that means anything .I will get a fuel pressure gage somewhere.how much should it read at idle and running.how long do I have to get back to you?
It will read almost 60 with key on and over 50 while running. you can get back to me whenever, if it is after 6 mountain time i might not respond till the AM but i will try and check a few times tonight.