Juan Crespo
Juan Crespo, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  A.S.E. Master Technician, Advanced Level, Emissions - Asian, Domestic, & European

Sterling t180: got a sterling cab over with a Mitsubishi

Customer Question

got a sterling cab over with a Mitsubishi 4m5oc29259 motor and is building coolant in reservoir will not drop level over night or wondering if any problems have been noted on that motor for head gaskets or ?????
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Pete replied 6 months ago.
Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.My info is somewhat limited on your model here but I had seen no one else has responded and would like to see if I can help here.If at any time you feel that I cannot help with this please let me know. One of the most common causes for this issue here is a leaking cylinder head gasket where exhaust heat and gasses are leaking into the cooling system.This can occur under load or any other condition as well.If you have not had a block test done this needs done to see if this is the cause here.Most shops can do this test and usually takes less then an hour to do.You can also purchase a block tester from a local parts store as well to test this yourself.I would have this test done to see if for sure this is the cause here. If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
need a little more infro then general like coolers giving any problems on that engine or the sleeves cracking I got the general been a mechanic for over 40
Expert:  Pete replied 6 months ago.
I will open your question up for others here to see if someone else can assist further on this as there may be others here that may have more info on what to check or do with this issue.I hope you can get this resolved with ease.No need to reply to my last post here unless it is a last resort as it will keep your question locked to me and others will not be able to view it.If you feel you want to continue to work with me on this feel free to reply at any time but keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair this without seeing your vehicle.Thanks Pete
Expert:  Juan Crespo replied 6 months ago.
Hi there.These engines are also used in the Fuso trucks and are known to warp heads when hot and cause combustion chamber pressure to leak into the cooling passages. In the early stages, the leak is sealed as the engine cools down so it is kind of hard to diagnose with off-the-shelf chemical testers. So, if that's what you have available, then I recommend performing the leak test with the engine warm under load as soon as possible to avoid further damage.Best Regards.